Keyboard shortcuts for Quick Reference

One thing I’ve noticed with S2.0 is that I tend to use Quick Reference a lot, mainly so I don’t have to keep changing my standard two-screen split; often enough, in fact, I often find myself wishing there were a way to just hit a couple of keys and have it pop up, preferably pre-loaded with the last document I looked at, rather than having to mouse through a menu and then a couple of sub-directories to the document I’m looking for. I’m guessing there is no such shortcut at the moment, but if there were in the future, I’d be hugely, immensely grateful.

Are you looking for a way to open something from the Binder in a QuickReference window without using a menu or toolbar button? That’s just spacebar. No different than QuickLook in the Finder.

True, but by first clicking on that item and hitting space bar, I change the current view in one of the two split-pane editor windows I usually have open. When that happens, I end up with the document in quick reference, hovering over that same document in an editor pane, which does slightly defeat the purpose unless it’s your intention to keep that quick reference window open to one side; do-able on a large monitor, but I write on a Macbook with a standard-size screen, so not enough space. What I really need is an option like the space bar to hit up that quick reference window, but without having to have the editor document-change that takes place when I go and select the document in question in the binder.

Unless, of course, there’s something really obvious I’m missing here, which is entirely possible.

There would be no intuitive way to add a keyboard shortcut for this because:

1. Scrivener has no way of knowing which document you want to open (the last document viewed makes little sense except for very specific usage scenarios).

2. If Scrivener uses the current editor document and opens that - well that’s generally pointless because you’re already looking at it.

3. If you select a document in the binder then space does the trick anyway.

So I’m afraid I have no plans to add keyboard shortcuts beyond what is already there, because I feel that QR is already as easy to access as it can be for general use, and it’s impossible to tailor it for each specific use case.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith

Me, too. I’d also like right-click to show a binder item’s contextual menu without changing editor documents. If that worked, adding Quick Reference to the Contextual Menu > Open… submenu would address this.

In the meantime:

• Binder Access to Quick Reference:
    ⌥⌘L (lock in place) for each Editor > select document in Binder > spacebar. Then unlock the Editor(s).

• Use Wiki-links
    Type the [[document title]] if you know it, in double brackets in your current document/document notes > click or right-click it.
    [size=85]See Preferences > Scrivener Links > Open clicked links in… settings. Note: if this is set to QR, then there’s no contextual menu option to open the link in an Editor. If set to either of the Editors, all three options are accessible via contextual menu.[/size]

• Add Project / Document References for frequently accessed QR items
    access via click/right-click according to Preferences.

• Keyboard, mouseless, access to Quick Reference:
    ⌘? (⌘⇧/) Help Search > type “[size=110]Quic[/size]” > arrow down/over to document

That is the very awkwardness with spacebar to access the Quick Reference panel. The act of 3) selecting a document calls it up in the Editor, which brings you to 2) you are opening the current editor document in a Quick Reference panel.

It’s never enough, is it? :slight_smile:

Honestly it doesn’t take long to get in the habit of using the keyboard shortcut to lock the editor (and unless you have “binder selection affects other editor when focused editor is locked” checked, you don’t need to lock both). Then you can use the keyboard to hop over to the binder, select your document and call it up in the quick reference, and jump back. A matter of seconds, if even that.

There is a good reason why ctrl-click selects the document, too. I forget why at the moment, because it’s Friday night and I’m away from my development machine, but I’ll take a look tomorrow.

I would also add that Cmd-[ is very easy to press. :slight_smile: Select the document you wish to open, spacebar it, then Cmd-[ to get back to where you were and continue onward. Remember also that Opt-Cmd-[ and ] will flip between files in the other split’s history. If you don’t actually need side-by-side referencing, you might be better off just toggling between a set of files in the second split.

Since it’s never enough :laughing:, one more:

• use Outliner/Corkboard [size=85]with Corkboard & Outliner Space Key Behavior set to QR.[/size]
    Pros: selections won’t affect alternate editor. Cons: one editor must be an Outliner/Corkboard

Seriously, I started my post with here’s one way to access QR, and then I just keep finding more and more… Thank you for writing such powerful, adaptable software. Thanks, too, for looking into ctrl+clicking. I fully understand there might be an important reason to keep the current behavior.

Thanks for the shortcuts, AmberV. (Just a note: CMD-[ goes back to the right Scrivenings, but not where I was working) My main layout: two editors in Scrivenings mode, one in current chapter, the other with frequent reference note documents. I usually open QR HUD panel(s) when I want to compare a third document, or jot a note down without losing my place in the first two panes. My issue is losing my train of thought, so maybe CMD+SHIFT+L is really what I need. I hadn’t tried Lock in Place much since 1.5 [size=85]where quirks with moving/deleting documents in Edit Scrivenings made it inconvenient[/size]. 2.0 changes this; Scrivenings mode smoothly handles moved/deleted documents.

I’d better change my preferences: I often make a mistake with it, after all, having the wrong editor selected.

Yes, that is a good point. If your prior history queue is a scrivenings session, then you will be bumped back to the top of the session rather than precisely where you were working. This is because of a limitation in how that persistence feature works. It saves that information as meta-data to the file, but a scrivenings session has no such file, so there is nowhere rational to save the scroll and selection information. The only way to fix this, I think, would be to add scroll and selection meta-data to the history queue array itself.

Thanks for this topic discussion. Got me to stop looking around for another way to use Quick Ref without it appearing in the editor. I’ve been using the locking techniques combined with the Binder Affects. That works for me just fine. BTW: I watched the Quick Reference video and learned/remembered 2 other useful things. Not to give you swelled heads, but jeez the support available for Scrivener are great.

Thanks David! I always like a bit of head-swelling.