KindleGen Cannot Be Used Because It Is In Quarantine

Running Mac OS X 10.9.5 as system admin on a MacBook Pro.

Downloaded KindleGen. Unzipped folder. Opened KindleGen by clicking it (not right clicking -> Open With -> Terminal)

KindleGen opens fine in the terminal. There is no warning that it’s an app downloaded from the internet.

Try to compile a .mobi file from Scrivener (version 2.5) using KindleGen and it gives me the error message in the subject / topic line.

I have restarted computer (in case it was a permissions issue).

I have deleted KindleGen, unzipped again and right clicked the app -> Open With and used Terminal to try and take it out of quarantine, but I cannot get it to work.

Scrivener sees KindleGen as quarantined when the rest of the operating system doesn’t, which means that I can’t un-quarantine it and I can’t compile for Kindle.

It’s very frustrating!

Any ideas or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Have you tried … … -scrivener

Hello Briar,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have tried that.

The problem here, I think, is that I double clicked on KindleGen after I had first unzipped it, which has un-quarantined it, but in a way that Scrivener doesn’t recognise.

I can delete the KindleGen app and reinstall it, even to a different location, and it makes no difference.

Fortunately I have access to another computer and I have transferred the files to that one, installed KindleGen and compiled my .mobi file. Not the ideal solution, but it has worked.

Thanks again.

I think that, to remove it properly, you probably need something like AppDelete which displays all the files associated with an app which are scattered round the library, allowing you to delete them too. If you just bin the app itself, I would imagine the quarantine lock file or whatever is still there, and would be read by any new installation.

Just my ½ p

Mr X

I think you’re exactly right!

I’ll try AppDelete. Thank you. Excellent advice.