L&L Book Club - What would you like to read?

Our Book Club has been running for a year now, and we are wondering how best to take it forward.

Our original aim was to be as inclusive as possible. We have offered novels that are globally available, from a wide range of genres – sometimes icons of literature (either in their day, or currently) and sometimes lesser known. Mindful of the cost of living crisis, we proposed books in the public domain, so that readers don’t have to part with hard-earned cash in order to join in.

But active participation has been low, suggesting that the books selected through our monthly polls have not been of wider appeal to forum members.

So we’re now re-thinking our original premise, and we would welcome your suggestions.

Would you like to take part in a book club here on our forum? If so, what sort of books would you like us to read and discuss? Is there a particular format that you would like the book club to follow? Should a book be chosen monthly, or would a different schedule be preferable? What would encourage you to join in with discussions?

Let us know what you think!

All the best,
Astrid

Hi Astrid,

I’m definitely interested in being a part of the book club. I just keep forgetting to download the selections each month.

As for types of books to read, I’ll read almost anything. My own personal tastes lean toward genre or historical non-fiction, but I read plenty of that on my own. I’d like to be pushed into areas that I don’t tend to pick up on my own.

I’ve liked the idea of having a post a month where the books are discussed, and I tend to drop by and review the conversations, even if I didn’t read the book being discussed. It’s been a helpful way to see if adding that book to my TBR stack seems wise.

Personally, I’d need to set up a reminder to read the book and then post, which I’ve not done before this.

As always,
Ruth

2 Likes

This is a lovely idea.

I agree pretty much with RuthS

2 Likes

I like selecting books that meet three conditions:

1. major awards such as long list for the Booker
  2. well reviewed by respected publications/reviewers
  3. strong reader reviews on places like Goodreads
  4. Not too long or some book club members will DNF or not read them, in the first place.

When you can identify books that meet these conditions, you know they are tested, that they have some momentum, and that book club members will interested and curious to read them.

1 Like

Got any “written with Scrivener” suggestions?

1 Like