Latest release crashes on Dropbox sync

In case anyone else has this problem: Relinking Dropbox did not work. Unlinking and then relinking did work but involved long sync to redownload every single file. :confused: Nevr had a problem before this update.

Hi,

I’m sorry to hear you had issues. The latest version updates to the latest version of the Dropbox frameworks (the older frameworks wouldn’t build in the latest development tools for iOS 11), so it’s possible that caused the issue, although I tested thoroughly and had no problems with the transition.

I’m glad you’re back up and running!

All the best,
Keith

Make sure to update to the latest version of the Dropbox app as well.

Katherine

I am having the exact same issue. My Dropbox, Scrivener and iOS are all at the latest versions.

I can’t figure out how to fix this! Scrivener crashes every time it begins to sync with Dropbox. This started right after the update yesterday.

Scrivener 1.1.4 (1274)
iOS 11.1.2

Unlinking and relinking dropbox also solved it for me as well. Though this caused a lot of conflicts because the latest versions were not synced.

I experienced a crash and found that unlink and relink solved it for now. If anything changes, I’ll post again. Otherwise, all is good.

Having exactly the same issue. Latest updates to Scrivener, iOS and Dropbox. I try to sync the 5k words I just added to my NaNoWriMo project on my iPad today with Scrivener for Windows via dropbox, and the iOS app crashes as soon as it tries to download the file list.
I hear talk of unlinking and relinking but have no idea how to do that.
To say I am angry is an understatement. This is a completely unacceptable, critical bug in what is after all a paid for app.

From the projects screen, tap Edit (upper right), then the gearbox (lower right). Choose Unlink DropBox.

Scrivener will ask “Delete or keep files?” I chose to Delete, which caused all my projects to resync. “Keep” will probably work around the bug too, but I’m not sure.

Next tap the gearbox and choose Link DropBox. DropBox will launch and tell you that Scrivener wants access. Tap Allow. Choose your DropBox folder and you’re done. (If you chose Delete in prior step, then all your projects will resync.)

From the iOS Projects screen, tap the Edit button at the upper right of the project list. A gear icon will appear. Tap it to see the Unlink/Relink Dropbox commands.

Katherine

Edit: Yeah, what JimRac said.

This happened to me as well. It seems to become a problem on my setup when I use multiple iOS devices. The only way to fix it is to unlink and re-link Dropbox, as others have said before. But after syncing across multiple devices again, the crash returns. It crashes during the “Downloading File LIst” phase.

I unlinked Dropbox and reinstalled Scrivener and it’s still crashing. All after I updated to IOS 11.1.2.

When I opened the updated Scrivener on my iPad Pro, tapping on a project only resulted in a spinning wheel. I then noticed that the sync icon (circular arrows) at the top right was red. I tapped on it, it asked me to relink Dropbox, I did so, it downloaded the files list, and everything was back to normal.

This is a ‘me too’ - exactly the same ‘crashing during sync’ problem, but I downloaded the update on Monday and have been using it all week (and syncing with no problems) and this bug only manifested for me today (26th November). My Dropbox is up to date and so is my iOS (am actually using the latest iOS 11 beta, but that hasn’t changed since Monday either). Thanks to the other posters (and Katherine) for the tip about unlinking/relinking Dropbox, am gonna do that now!

I am using latest version iOS Scriv on iOS 10, on iPad and iPhone.

Based on the experiences upthread, I unlinked and relinked Dropbox prior to syncing the latest version of iOS Scriv, and never had an issue.

Sharing this info as an an FYI for L&L,

This is also happening to me,. I usually work between two iPad’s (both on iOS 11.). What’s a little different is that one iPad (iPad Pro 9.7) doesn’ ever have a problem. An older iPad Air 2, however, does.

I have relinked the Dropbox account to Scrivener on the iPad Air 2, That fixes the probem “for that session” and I can then save/sync back to DB. After that, I can sync to the Pro iPad fine, but then when I try and sync back to the iPad Air 2, it crashes (unless I do another re-link on the iPad Air 2)

I don’t have the problem of crashing but since updating the Mac OS version to Scrivener 3, my iOS version on both iPhone and iPad are taking forever to ‘download file list’ before it starts syncing.
It does sync, not crash, but this only started since updating to Scrivener 3 on the Desktop.
I don’t know if it’s related to what has been said in this thread, but just wanted to give my 5 cents.

from the latest update of the iOS version of Scrivener (on iPad Pro 9.7 and iPhone 6s both with iOS 11.1.2) it happens that when there is a low Wi-Fi or cellular connection (just a hypothesis) the changes to my project I just done can not be uploaded to Dropbox, even later, when the connection is better, Scrivener keep crashes and the only solution is to reinstall the app losing the last work, if it has not been copied elsewhere

Me too. Unlink & Link worked.
Had not been resolved by restarting Scrivener or iPad Pro.

I am having this exact problem. I just updated to the just-released iOS version of Scrivener, hoping it would fix the issue, but now I cant sync at all. :-/. I’m in touch with support about it, just wanted to say “me too” on this same problem.

Posted today by AmberV:

Also see advice from kewms in the same thread, two posts after.