LEE'S UPDATE - BETA 035 RELEASED

Adobe Reader, nothing crazy. I can change it to something else, need be.

Removed file associations (was associated with Reader and every other pdf viewer I had, so there shouldn’t be issues.) No dice.

Edit: not working under linux native, either. (I believe it was.)

After removing the file assoc. try importing a PDF fresh (or exporting and reimporting one already in the project)–I need to go look at the reports, but I think it might’ve only made a difference for newly imported files after the association change. Sorry, my head’s here and there at the moment.

I’m assuming you didn’t change any file names/file paths since the last time this was working? There’s also an issue, I believe still is but I’ll have to double-check, with non-Latin characters in the project’s file path on the drive–for some reason, QuickPDF doesn’t seem to like that and won’t display the PDF. But if nothing’s changed there since last time this worked that doesn’t seem like it would be the problem.

I do have some with Korean text, but they aren’t displaying or ones with just Latin encoding. I’ve removed file associations for PDF. I’ve also tried importing a new PDF. (Didn’t work.) I swear PDFs worked with 029! :slight_smile:

I don’t disbelieve you, I’m just racking my brain for ideas on what it might be…

I don’t have a copy of 029 lying around to install and double check, either. :confused: (expired anyway, isn’t it?)

Yep.

Okay, think it might be on my end:

err:module:import_dll Library FontSub.dll (which is needed by L"C:\Program Files\Scrivener\QuickPDFDLL0811.dll") not found

Hrm. Now to find a FontSub.dll that I trust… Is that a system dll or a Scrivener-specific one?

Edit: overrode FontSub.dll with a native one from Windows 7. Crashed badly, though. Don’t currently have an xp box I can snag one from. :frowning:

Edit1: got a FontSub.dll from an XP box. Actually loaded Scrivener, then crashed. Still no pdfs. Well bleh.

a few bugs (possibly) with beta version ending november 7:

1. very difficult to align text with a full paragraph indent. need to have an indent button up top with the outline numbering button.
  2. cannot change number sequence easily on outline.
    [size=150]3. when copy/pasting to a text file text modifications (e.g., italics) are lost.[/size]
  3. for some reason a week or so after having installed the version 035, the version was lost. i had to reinstall the new version. i kept getting an error box telling me the version had expired.
  4. line numbering would be a much appreciated addition. this would accommodate group critique sessions well.
  5. when using the the indents and bullets feature, the next indent is weird if you turn off the bullets. i have a bit of a hop, skip, and a dance to do to get the indent to align further out with the main body of the text.
  6. i wasn’t successful finding a way to turn off the auto caps feature. is there a way?
  7. i wasn’t able to find a way to export or import a section of an existing scrivener file to a new scrivener file.

if there is somewhere else you’d like this, let me know.

You could’ve started a new thread, but this is fine. I’ll just go through your list. :slight_smile:

Although there’s no button for this, you can use the shortcuts Ctrl+T and Ctrl+Shift+T to move the first-line indent right or left and Ctrl+Q and Ctrl+Shift+Q to move the overhang indent right or left. These aren’t listed in the menu yet (they will be) but they’re working.

In what way are you trying to change it? (I’m assuming you’re talking about a numbered list in the editor, yes?) I believe there have been some adjustments to make this easier which will be out in the next update, but I’ll double-check if you can let me know a little more specifically what you’re doing and what results you’re getting.

Where are you copying from and to, and what command are you using? (I assume a standard Ctrl+V paste, but there is a Paste and Match Style command which does strip formatting and is intended to.) I’m not able to replicate this at all, so as much detail as you’ve got would be great.

Were you running an earlier beta prior to 035? The beta has a countdown as well as the “real” beta expiration date, so it’s possible that you hit 30 days in the countdown and needed to click the “reset” button to bump that back up to continue to Nov 7th. I’m not entirely sure how the code works if the beta goes past 30 days without being reset, so it’s possible there’s an issue here where it would not give you that prompt again and would just pop up the error message saying the beta had expired. If that’s the case, I’m quite sorry! Make sure this time around too that you hit the “Rest” button at least once so that you’ve got a full 30 days—that’ll get you through until the Nov 7th expiration.

This is something on the list for down the road.

The shortcuts listed above should make this easier.

There are some choices for this in the Auto-Correction tab of Tools>Options.

Open both projects side by side and then drag the selected files from the first project’s binder to the second’s.

I’m using the .35 release and found a couple of issues:

1. although I can select columns for the outliner view, only the default columns display.
    Steps: Select Outliner view. Select View>Outliner columns check new columns. Note that they do not display. Now unselect one of the default columns (Label for example) Note that it is no longer displayed. Reselect it, and it appears.

Each time you select a column the selection window disappears - this is annoying if you want to select multiple columns.

1. Template Sheets
    The formatting of the Character Sheet is really really strange.
    Steps to reproduce: Open Template Sheet>Character Sketch. Place cursor to the right of “Physical Description”. Type. Note that the text goes back backwards from your cursor and overlaps the existing text. This happens on some of the lines, but not others. It also depends on where you place your cursor in the line.

The columns do get added; the problem is that presently the editor isn’t scrolling properly to show these to you, so they’re off the edge of the visible space. Scroll to the right and you’ll see the columns you’ve added. You can adjust the widths by moving the splitters in the column headers.

Which project template are you using and which version of the beta did you create it in? (If you don’t know that’s fine, but I’ve been in the process of slowly updating them, so if this is a project from several months ago it will have a different template than one created in 035.) I’m working to adjust these so they’re a little simpler, but the templates are just done with tabs and indents, so it will be necessary always that you place your cursor in the right part of the line to begin–it won’t be immediately beside the colon. Try turning on the ruler (Format>Show Ruler) so you can see the tab settings, and clicking in the empty white space further to the right of the line you want to edit to see where the insertion point lands. It shouldn’t be more than .25" away from the field title, if that much. Again, though,this could also be that you’re using an older version of the template, where it was a lot easier to end up typing in the wrong part of the line.

Feel free also to reformat the templates as you like for your own use–they’re just regular documents, and you can modify them any way you want!

I love that I can use Alt+Shift+Right to navigate to the Next Document without touching the mouse, but can someone confirm this shortcut still isn’t working in Fullscreen Mode?

May I ask for it to work there?

Amazing progress, by the way!

This hasn’t been fixed for the NaNo release.

Confirmed.

I’ve downloaded the current beta, as of today 11/2/11 and am still having the same problem with the Character Sketch template as indigo-mouse, where if I want to type info on the same line as one of the tags, like “Role in Story,” I’ll click to the left of those words, but a everything I type on that line runs to the left side of the screen and over running the “Role in Story” words.

This happens on everyone line where there is existing text. I’ve found what I think is the source of the problem in the ruler bar, but am not savvy enough with Word “tabs” to do a quick global fix on my master template.

If you look to the ruler at the top of the template, it’s the “right tab” indicator (shaped like a small backwards “L”) set at the 2 1/4 mark on the ruler that’s preventing text from typing in the correct direction on the “question/tag” lines.

My problem is that this tab seems to be doing something for the whole document, though I don’t know what, so when I “select all” and then click and drag the “right tab” off the ruler everything in the doc shifts to the left side of the screen and shortens the separator lines. So I end up having to click each line that I want to type on and individually dragging the “right tab” off the ruler for that line.

Hope this helps and that you can do a general fix for the template.
Collyn

Open both projects side by side and then drag the selected files from the first project’s binder to the second’s.
I’m not sure we’re on the same page on this. I want a completely new project file. What I do in this case is create a short story project file. Once it’s at a stage of completion requiring a clean up, I move it up to a different tier. But, those short stories which take on a life of their own require a separate project file. I’ll try to do what you’ve suggested above, but I can’t visualize it as working in the way I need.

Thanks again for getting back to me on my concerns. :smiley:

btw, i don’t use any of the templates or predesigned formats, i start with a blank project and build my own.

I think the described method is what you need, unless I’m misunderstanding. You basically are graduating a short story to its own project, right? You start with blanks, so create a new blank project for this short story, and then drag the story’s binder structure from the old project into the new blank one. Now you have a focussed project on that story. You can delete the old structure if you want, or file into an archive folder within it. From that point on the new project has its own life. It’s doing exactly what you describe as wanting to do, the only difference is that the steps you take are in a slightly different order. Instead of creating a new project straight out of an existing one, you create the new project first and then copy over the material you want to populate that new project.

thank you. that worked perfectly.