Leopard, now, later or never?

Just speaking with the local Apple Centre ( a reseller) - they put Leopard on one of the display machines (i.e. upgraded it from tiger) and it screwed up the hard drive good and proper - not yet back out of the sick bay. Their advice was go with Leopard by all means if it’s a home machine, but for business use - hold off for the first software update. They are supplying all their Macs with Tiger installed and Leopard on a disc in the box and only putting Leopard on the machine if the customer insists against their advice. FWIW.

Quod erat demonstrandum.

Oddly enough, it seems to me that the release version of Leopard is a little buggier than the last developer seed. But then, if Apple will insist on withholding the release version from developers (thousands of built-in beta testers) and would rather release it on the unsuspecting public without giving developers the chance of testing it for a week or two before release, what do you expect? (That, incidentally, is precisely why I withheld releasing Scrivener 1.1 last week - I wanted to test it on the release version, which Apple had withheld from me; this is the same reason Devon Technologies have not released an update just yet.)

Still, Leopard is a great beast. It’s just a shame Apple don’t respect their users and developers a little more… They seem more concerned about piracy than providing a decent user experience to paid users - which is very Microsoft of them.

Best,
Keith

Ah but then, Jobs once trusted Gates. Maybe it’s simply a case of “Once bitten, twice shy”, don’t you think?

I understand the frustration of developers, but I’m afraid my poor brain is having trouble with the notion that Apple would send the release version to “thousands of built-in beta testers.” Wouldn’t that be a pre-release version then? :smiley:

I could make a joke about not releasing software until you were absolutely sure that every single bug had been squashed, but I might find my license revoked. :laughing:

Revoking licences is beyond my power. :slight_smile:

To put it another way:

You buy into Apples’ developer program to access their pre-release software so that you can ensure that your software will work on their new platform as soon as it is released. Then they don’t give you the final version until they release it to everyone else? That seems a little insane, as no good software developer is going to assume that just because it works on the last seed of Leopard, it is going to work on the release version. I’m just not sure who that is benefitting. Surely it is better for users if developers get access to the Gold Master as soon as it goes gold, so that they can test software and release it straight away?

Not that it matters much now… Scrivener 1.1 will be out this weekend, and I’ll never be buying into Apple’s ADC program again. :slight_smile:

All the best,
Keith