[LH1451] Windows uses backslashes in paths

Windows uses backslashes in paths, not forward slashes. Getting this wrong in the UI makes it look very non-native.

scrivener_paths.png

This is Scrivener 2.9.0.7.

Thanks. This has been filed.

Still an issue in Beta 12.

Will be fixed in the next update.

The problem is even worse in file links which are very strange. Besides slashes going the wrong way, there are 3 slashes after the file:: specifier.
peculiar links.jpg

It would also be nice if there was a browse button to find the file you were linking to. That is the normal standard for windows, like you have for choosing the backup folder.

That’s an HTML style file specification. You could paste that into the address line of a (local) browser and it should find that file. I’m not sure that’s a problem, but I can see why one might be surprised by it.

Interesting. I didn’t know that. When I think of getting a file from my computer, I normally think of the way File Explorer would do it, rather than a browser. However, this is what their link to a file dialog box looks like:

file link dialog.jpg

This makes it very difficult to understand and execute a file link. I’m guessing a link to a file might mean I’d fill in something like this by typing it into the box:
/c:/users/ss/documents/writing/research/project/stuff.pdf

Which seems excessively hard if it would even work. Also, sticking the / before the drive is non-intuitive.

The method I use for URLs is to switch to no prefix and paste the url from my browser. So, naturally, I tried that by pasting in the address from File explorer, but that doesn’t work.

Everyone else uses a file browse button which they should implement.

Ignoring all this, drag and drop does work.

When you browse in Internet explorer or MS-Edge to a local text file and open it, what does the address bar show?

Firefox, for example, shows me this:

file:///C:/Users/Roger/Downloads/cardo/OFL.txt

And, the tab title is /C:/Users/Roger/Downloads/cardo/OFL.txt.

I agree this is not intuitive to most users.

I fully believe you. I have from a website used a browse button to find a file on my local machine, but it never occurred to me that to access a file on my local machine I would use my web browser rather than the program designed for that purpose. Also, I tried it out and it can be made to work.

Really, there should be a browse button to find files you want to link to. If drag and drop is the only realistic option, because filling in that box is not a realistic option, then the instruction to drag and drop should be what is there, not a box.

Fully agree with that.

“Browse” button added, although Mac does not have it. I agree it might be handy. Enjoy!

A question: is the default setting that the backups are located in the AppData folder? If so, isn’t there a risk that when someone upgrades to a newer version of Scrivener and uninstalls the old version, a “cleanup” software will ask the user if it should clean out old stuff connected to the app and will then wipe out all the backups?

People using software should generally be aware of the negative potential interactions that software has, especially if it works in non-obvious and not recommended ways.

People developing software should not generally have to safeguard against the deliberate and sometimes deceptive actions that other software may take, because that is literally an infinite path and nobody could develop anything.

Clean-up apps don’t usually clean up just any folder anywhere but more specifically clean up whats left by an app in its designated library folders.

That’s what they try to do, I agree. Sometimes they succeed.

And when they don’t, I get a call from my sad friend or family member who have a computer that’s more messed up than it would have been with those remnants in place.

Yes, but isn’t it a bad choice to have the default location of the backups in the system library?

I’ve not had this happen yet. That does not mean it cannot. AppData is a common location for data a program wants to save, which I suspect is why they used it.

You can specify a different location if you want.

I advise everyone using Scrivener to backup to at least two different locations. Sync important projects to an external folder, or even to DropBox or Google Drive.

More than that, it is (if my recall is correct) the Microsoft recommended location for storing per-user data, according to the latest guidelines.