[LH4611] can't enter data custom metadata

Hi,
not sure if this is a bug, but I’ve made a custom metadata field called Date&Time that i’ve assigned a date format to. When I try to give a document a new date&time label through the inspector, nothing happens on clicking. I can assign other labels, but clicking my date&time custom label doesn’t do anything at all. i can’t write in it and it doesn’t show a calendar, as I believe it should, from looking at other people’s experience.
Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

Not a bug, but very difficult to find the sweet spot. In the inspector metadata panel (shown below), you need to right-click to bring up the edit/clear dialog.
Annotation 2020-06-24 155533.png
In Outline mode, you left-click in the column space as shown below:
Annotation 2020-06-24 160705.png

As Jestar explained, right-clicking in the inspector field will allow you to edit the data metadata. I’ve also filed this as a bug, though, because it is inconsistent with the other fields or the way it works in the outliner, and I think that should be fixable. We’ll see!

aaaaah, right-click! hadn’t tried that
thanks both

that’s indeed as good as a bug :slight_smile:

Cool! It should be noted that the date metadata still has at least one other bug report attached to it - unable to sort on the date field. I think there is another about the lack of precision for the date/time (probably related to the sorting) that was talked about ages ago (yeah, I’m patiently waiting on this particular metadata field). You can actually get precise date/time metadata into the field using Aeon Timeline, but you can’t enter that same sort of data from within Scrivener.

It won’t allow date entry from before September, 1752, in Scrivener. My workaround (3 date fields: month, day, year) functions, but it’s not great.

FWIW, the major event in September 1752 was the “British Calendar Riots”:
From Historic-UK.com " The English calendar riots of 1752. The eleven days referred to here are the ‘lost’ 11 days of September 1752, skipped when Britain changed over from the Julian calendar to the Gregorian calendar, bringing us into line with most of Europe. … This is a solar calendar, based on a 365-day year divided into 12 months."

And from projectbritain.com “In 1752 Britain decided to abandon the Julian calendar in favour of the Gregorian. By doing so, 3 September instantly became 14 September - and as a result, nothing whatsoever happened in British history between 3 and 13 September 1752. Many people believed their lives would be shortened.”

Guess they are still looking for those lost 11 days. :slight_smile:

The post below matches my finding… a custom metadata field of “date” is technically editable, but even knowing how (that you have to click below rather than on or beside the label), it isn’t easy.

And having to do it as a right-click compounds it.

Please consider making the field more obvious.