Lined corkboard question

Hello
I have a question. I am using Scrivener 3 on windows and I am wondering if when you use the lined corkboard is there a way to put the cards just one above the other. When I try, the one of the cards just shift away and I can’t just put one above the other. Is there a way to do it or is it just no available?
Thank you

In the bottom right of the screen, in the status bar, you see four symbols that change the mode in which the cork board arranges things. The second symbol from the left, tooltip “Freedom Corkboard”, is what you probably want.

Thank you for your reply, but it isn’t quite what I am looking for, since if I do that the lines disappear.
I am trying to make timelines with the lined corkboard and it would be handy if I could put one card above the other (on different lines) for events that happen at the same time . Is there a way to do that?

Sorry to say that, but no, not that I am aware off.

You need to understand that the corkboard “arranged by label”—which is what you are referring to—is showing the card of each document distributed in terms of their label but in the sequence they appear in the binder, i.e. the sequence in which they will be compiled. Each card presents a synopsis of the associated binder document, and as such they do not represent “events”, they represent units—for want of a better word—in the narrative sequence.

So you cannot stack them to show temporal relation of events. If you really need a timeline, other software, like Aeon Timeline, is designed for just that purpose.

HTH :slight_smile:

Mark

While I doubt—and doubt quite strongly, as a matter of fact—anything will ever come of this, this right here’s the reason I’d love to see this “arranged by label” feature expanded to offer arrange by keyword and arrange by metadata capabilities.

I realize that would result in the same index card possibly being on the corkboard multiple times, but it could still be that moving any one of that card could move it in the binder as well. This would probably be way too much of a programming, logistical, and every other kind of nightmare you can imagine though.

Still a boy can dream…

1 Like

You do realize that the “index cards” are the exact same documents that you see in the Binder? So if one appears multiple times in the Corkboard view, it would also suddenly appear multiple times in the Binder. Imagine the kind of reactions you’d get from lots of users if some Binder documents suddenly multiplied, or maybe disappeared?
:crazy_face:

I could see this working for custom metadata, even for statuses. But keywords? Where there’s by definition a one-to-many relationship between card (document!) and keywords?

Yikes.

Is that truly the case though? Because that’s what you see, it might seem that way.

But what if what you are seeing on the corkboard is a one-to-one correspondence to what is in the binder because each item can only be labeled once?

Because—and let me be clear here—the corkboard is showing a representation of what’s in the binder. That doesn’t mean that—should the programming effort be undertaken (which probably is not worth L&L’s time, which I do get)—some other single items with multiple values (keyboards—as only a for instance) couldn’t be represented multiple times, yet exist in the binder once.

FWIW, here’s what I think Arrange by Keyword could look like:

I know it’s not going to happen, but as I said, “a boy can dream…”

As Aaron Burr said in Hamilton: “…like I said…”

Yes. The left part of the main window holds the Binder, which holds a list of all the documents constuting the Project. It can be viewed in the middle part in three different ways: the Editor, as an Outline, or as cards on a Corkboard. But all three are, by design, only three different ways of looking at the documents in the Binder. And in the right part you have the Inspector, which shows metadata, synopsis, etc for each document.

What you are suggesting is something completely different. Some kind of relational representation of database posts. Of course it is possible to code something like that, but it kind of defies the basic principle of how Scrivener is designed. The core of Scrivener is long-form writing, where the story (the long text) is made up of a long list of individual documents, which can be viewed in the three different ways.

2 Likes

No. Corkboard view is a VIEW of a selected folder/container. It shows the same documents you’d see in any other view of that folder — whether, Binder, scrivenings, outline, or Corkboard, with or without Label arrangement.

That said, you may get what you want in the freeform corkboard view, where you can group documents any way you want, manually.

But it doesn’t show the same properties/data from those documents, which is the entire point of a view – you can customize what you’re seeing. If not for that, we wouldn’t have the different views available to begin with.

The request here is intriguing, I think – have an option to visualize duplicate index cards to show the same card data in multiple places based on properties that can hold multiple values, like keywords. I don’t actually think that would be terribly difficult to perform, because each visual copy of the index card would be pointing back to the same document instance. It would simply be a little magic performed in the view, the same way that SQL views can duplicate fields from the underlying table they’re pulling from and call it different names.

We’d get complaints that a document shows up three times, but it should have been two, or vice versa — and why is it in this or that location? It seems like a needless complication to me.

If it was implemented the way it was asked for, it would be an off-by-default option the user would have to explicitly toggle, so if you wouldn’t see the need for it, you wouldn’t have to use it.

Like so many other features in the program, really.

It’s worth the OP asking for this in the Wish List forum – worst that can happen is KB says no and the program stays as it is.It’s not like there’s an easy workaround to do something like this otherwise; using the lined corkboard displays information visually that the Outliner view just doesn’t replicate. There’s no easy way to dynamically switch between views of “all documents that contain a specific keyword” the way this would let one do.

People accidentally turn on options they don’t know how to turn off — every day — but sure, everyone’s entitled to their wishes.

Which would defeat the automatic nature of any “arrange by…” feature.

To be clear, this wasn’t something I was asking for—or even thought had a tiny chance of being implemented—but was just wishing for out loud. That said, using a proper Model-View Framework, it should be something that could be done, whether it makes any sense to do so is a whole ‘nother thing completely.

Manual is not automatic. Correct.