Linux 1.9.01 Beta Released

Greetings,

Just installed Alexo’s package on Mint 20 beta. Thought I should let everyone know I needed these two .debs that weren’t required for Mint 19.3:

packages.debian.org/jessie/amd6 … 0/download
packages.debian.org/jessie/amd6 … t/download

Put those two debs in the same folder as Alexo’s other dependency .debs. Then everything else in Alexo’s readmes still applies.

as an aside, I’m not sure if this package:
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0_0.10.36-2_amd64
is superseded by:
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0_0.10.36-2+deb8u2_amd64
but hey it’s working so I’m not digging to deep for answers right now.

Below are the steps that worked for me on a fresh install of Xubuntu 20.04 LTS.

Note - the Scrivener beta .deb may hang if selected for installation in/by the Software Center

in which case install through Terminal using:
$ sudo apt install <path to .deb file>

Ignore dependencies warning(s)

Install these packages in this order (using Terminal):

libpng12-0_1.2.54-1ubuntu1b_amd64.deb

libgstreamer0.10-0_0.10.36-1.5ubuntu1_amd64.deb

libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0_0.10.36-2ubuntu0.2_amd64.deb

Spellcheck also needs a dictionary setting up in Scrivener. If none show in Tools/Options/Corrections, install libaspell:

libaspell-dev_0.60.8-1build1_amd64.deb

Scrivener still throws up an error message on closing saying there has been a problem and should the programme be re-started; I ignore it and tick the ‘do not show this message again’ box. Everything works fine after that.

I too wish to add my thanks.

I am using Debian 10. However, the suggested dependencies do not exist. Does anyone know if I am missing a particular repo?

I should mention that I get this message:

/usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener: error while loading shared libraries: libpng12.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Thanks.

Hi all,

has anybody installed Scrivener on Ubuntu 20.4?
I used the deb package and did both a manual install and through the software manager. Installation was a piece of cake, Scrivener shows up in the apps and everything. Only problem is that it does not run. Any idea?

I have not but yesterday did get the AppImage to somewhat work in Mint Cinnamon 20.

I say work somewhat because I only used it for a few minutes––just repeatedly opened and closed Scrivener and navigated in its Tutorial. I’m not even sure that I installed it properly. I’m a returning Linux newbie so just briefly trying the Scrivener AppImage was a goal for that self-training session as part of my longterm strategy. See the following thread made by @theswede. He’s experienced and successfully uses the AppImage. There’s a link in his OP to the hosting site. It’s well worth a look.

Yes. It’s more than likely missing a set of libraries that are no longer supplied/supported in 20.x

This is just in the nature of computers. Things shouldn’t break when upgrading minor versions (the ‘x’ bit in 20.x), but all bets are very much off on major version changes. (16.x → 18.x, 18.x → 20.x)

If you want to see what’s missing, you can run this in a terminal session:

ldd /usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener

(Assuming an install from the .deb package)

Finding the packages for the libraries you’ll need can be a bit of a faff. For optimum trust, they should come from an Ubuntu archive site. However, I think libpng12 came from some random dropbox a/c that was listed in one of the threads here. I mean, it’s probably Just Fine. But, y’know, if I were some black-hatted haxx0r type, that would be a jolly good way of getting someone to install a bank-detail-stealing backdoor…

Anyway.

This is the list of packages that I keep to one side for when I have to re-install Scrivener on a new Ubuntu rig:

libgstreamer0.10-0_0.10.36-1.5ubuntu1_amd64.deb libpng12-0_1.2.54-1ubuntu1b_amd64.deb libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0_0.10.36-1_amd64.deb multiarch-support_2.27-3ubuntu1.2_amd64.deb

If you install them with dependency warnings turned off, you can do without multiarch-support. However, Do Not Do That, because you’ll no longer be able to install/upgrade anything else on your machine.

I just reinstalled Scrivener on my Ubuntu box and tried to write a tutorial on the steps. It might help.

kidshideaway.net/scrivener-works-under-ubuntu-19

I’m coping with the instructions from the page here, but I’m not sure how well it will look.
Add the sources to the apt config.

sudo vi /etc/apt/sources.list

Use the editor of your choice, I use vi, not that is a protected file so you must use sudo.

deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ pool main universe multiverse deb http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ xenial main universe multiverse

Then run the apt command to install the packages.

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install multiarch-support* sudo apt-get install gir1.2-gst* libgstreamer-plugins-base0* libgstreamer0*

If you are still getting errors about adding packages try this:

sudo apt-get install libgthread* libglib* libgobject*  libgbase* libgmodule* libvisual*

If your getting png errors then try the easy way, and restest, if that doesn’t work see below instructions for compiling the module on your install so it will be compatible.

sudo apt-get install libpng12*

Lingering PNG error solution:

PNG errors - Manual install

cd /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/

*** your directory may vary

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get autoremove
sudo apt-get install libtool autoconf build-essential pkg-config automake tcsh
wget http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/main/libp/libpng/libpng_1.2.54.orig.tar.xz
tar -xvf libpng_1.2.54.orig.tar.xz
cd libpng-1.2.54
./autogen.sh
./configure
make -j8
sudo make install
sudo ldconfig

BadPixMap errors
Next, you are probably going to get some perms errors.
To fix the perms error that displays itself as “BadPixMap”.

sudo QT_X11_NO_MITSHM=1 $pathto/$ScrivenerFolder/$ScriverFile

Example:

sudo QT_X11_NO_MITSHM=1 /usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener /home/my_user_name/Scrivener_Files/DragonDiary.scriv/DragonDiary.scrivx

That should be it. You should be up and running. If you’re not post some error messages and I’ll help ya figure it out.

github.com/unetbootin/unetbootin/issues/66 – more information about the reason for the permissions errors.

Appeared to install without probs… however

will not start

exMPLE OUTPUT:

webmost@ubuntulaptop:~$ ls -al /usr/share/scrivener/scrivener.sh
ls: cannot access ‘/usr/share/scrivener/scrivener.sh’: No such file or directory

webmost@ubuntulaptop:~$ /usr/share/scrivener/bin/scrivener.sh
/usr/share/scrivener/bin/scrivener.sh: 37: exec: /usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener: not found

webmost@ubuntulaptop:~$ ls -al /usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener
-rwxrwxr-x 1 root root 18542548 Oct 20 2015 /usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener

webmost@ubuntulaptop:~$ /usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener
bash: /usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener: No such file or directory

webmost@ubuntulaptop:~$ sudo /usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener
[sudo] password for webmost:
sudo: unable to execute /usr/share/scrivener/bin/Scrivener: No such file or directory

any clues?

I got it running on Ubuntu 20.10 by going to the Ubuntu packages repo website, and downloading/installing these three packages:
gstreamer0.10-plugins-base_0.10.36-2ubuntu0.2_amd64.deb
libgstreamer0.10-0_0.10.36-1.5ubuntu1_amd64.deb
libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-0_0.10.36-2ubuntu0.2_amd64.deb

You have to get these packages from the 16.04 repo:
packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/

I can’t get it to work on Linux Mint 20.

I downloaded the latest deb and I can’t get it to work for the life of me – I click on the application in my start menu and it does nothing. I tinkered around with installing some of the things listed in previous replies and I can’t seem to get it to work. Is anyone else using Mint?

Hi, I use Scrivener every day on Linux Mint 20, and have done so on every version of Mint going back the better part of a decade. Scrivener for Linux kicks ass, but dealing with old .deb’s leads to much pain and sorrow due to “dependency hell”.

Good news for us Linux heads though: A while back, i upgraded to Mint 20.1, and of course set about reinstalling Scrivener. To my great joy, I found a wonderful human being over at WayOfLinux has created an “appimage” file which makes it vastly easier get Scrivener working. (If not familiar, “appimage” packages contain their own dependencies, so they can seamlessly run on any Linux distribution under the sun, provided appimages are supported, which with Mint and virtually all distros, has been true for years.)

1. Go DuckDuckGo with the keywords “scrivener appimage” and locate the WayOfLinux web page. Scroll half way down and download the appropriate version.
  2. Decompress the archive and place the “.appimage” file in a cozy home folder location for safekeeping. (Doesn’t matter where, but it’s less messy if you don’t move the appimage file after you run it.)
  3. Double click the appimage file. When asked something about integrating with the desktop, click okay, and it will set up a launcher menu shortcut.

Voila, bingo. Scrivener runs.

1. Lastly, because i don’t work with XML files, I right clicked one of my “.scrivx” files and told it to always use scrivener, and now i just double click them to launch.
    4.1 (If you actually do other things with XML files on the regular, you’ll have to manually manage when to use Scrivener and when not to.)

The only quirk i notice is that after writing for 3 or 4 hours, the program gets sluggish, so i need to restart it. I’m in the habit of just closing it before i stand up for a break. That saves all edits and lets my cloud backup do its sync business. Then with fresh coffee, i double click my .scrivx file and continue. User interface stays snappy, i just make the bug into a part of my rhythm.

I do wish Lit and Late would take my Linux money. I’d click a donate link or add them to my patreon, but they don’t have either. But until then, the appimage file makes version 1.9 essentially eternal.

Good luck and happy Linux Scrivenering!
(If that isn’t a verb it should be.)

You’re my hero – this worked like a charm. Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

Thanks for the Linux version!

I hope that one of these days, the native Linux version will return to being actively developed. In the meantime, I’m happy with Scrivener. Now what Scrivener needs is a ‘motivate-your-fingers-to-create’ mode. :slight_smile:

Ed

Just to let folks know. I recently switched from Ubuntu (many versions, finally 20.4) where I could never figure out how to get Scrivener to work to Manjaro. I found Scrivener in the AUR repository. It probably an appimage, because when I asked it to build and install, a large number of dependencies were downloaded. It installed perfectly. However, when the icon was clicked nothing would happen, With I little searching, I found I simple needed to finish the installation by executing the following command in terminal:

sudo rm /opt/scrivener/lib/libfreetype.so.6

Then it works great. I paid for the upgrade to 3 for Windows as a way to support L&L’s continuing efforts for writers, but I’m thrilled with using Scrivener 1.9.x.x on both Windows and Linux. This is fantastic. I hope it keeps working a long time.

EDIT: This is the 64 Bit version. It’s running on an old Thinkpad X230.

1 Like

I also dream about nativ :frowning: after 2025 win 11 update force me to kick off windows from all my PC then i only use Linux… Photodhop, Acustica, Scrivener and much more need nativ linux versuion coz i never back to windows i not like osX and i wont have choice, but when i see 1.9 version here and scrivener 3 now i know that project die on beta… Then nativ or nothing coz wine implementation is never good idea… :frowning:

1 Like

If you have interest in a Scrivener AppImage, read the following linked thread till the end. Posts #5 and 6 have links to instruction and the 64 bit AppImage, respectively.

https://forum.literatureandlatte.com/t/scrivener-appimage/46430

Hi I can’t get any of the download links for 1.9.0.1 or 1.7.2.4 to download. Are they no longer working for others? Are they available at another (safe) source?
Thank you.