Linux 1.9.01 Beta Released

Hi everyone !

Does someone could tell me what is the differences between the Linux 1.9 version and the Mac 2.7 ? Does Linux 1.9 version looks like the «old» versions under Mac or not ?
Please, Scrivener Team, keep up the great great job !

David

Hey, just to let the developers know that I really like the Linux version, and now that the Linux beta has no time limitations I finally bought the Windows version. I use Windows on my primary laptop, but my primary writing computer is a netbook running Linux. Sticking my project files to Git and then using that to sync stuff between Windows and Linux seems to work perfectly.
I like the stuff you’ve done so far, keep up. I’m in the camp that thinks that there’s no perfect writing software around, but Scrivener is definitely among the least annoying. :slight_smile:

I’m delighted to see the updated Linux beta, although surprisingly late to the party. I’ve been using the prior version for the better part of a year, bought a standard license for my Mac out of support (and the ability to continue to use things upon the impending expiration of the beta), and generally am a huge supporter (and frequent advocate of) Scrivener and its supporting tools.

Thanks so much for this - very much appreciated. As a software developer myself I know it’s a ton of work!

As a way of thanks, I have also purchased a Windows license (I had a prior Mac-license). Now… I have two Scriveners on my Ubuntu: the Linux and the Windows-version. :smiley:

Thanks a lot!

PD: …and a happy new year already soon…

Hello,

First, happy new year !

I’d just installed Scrivener on my PC( Asus X200 MA under Ubuntu 14.04). It seems to works, but I can’t install French dictionary … I tried with both versions (1.7.2.4 and 1.9.0.1), with the same result : some error messages that I can’t read because message error boxes are to small to contain the messages … Is anyone have an idea to solve it ?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Laurent T (from France, explains my english ! )

Bonjour Laurent :

I’m trying to install a french dictionary. I found some of the very small error messages and managed to read some of them by combinations of clicking on the bit I could see and using shift and end buttons to go to the end of the phrase. Followed by ctrl-c to copy and ctrl-v to paste into a text editor. Sometimes it worked :

1. ‘Sp’ : expanded to “Spell check completed.”
  2. ‘A’ : expanded to “A restart of Scrivener is required before any downloaded dictionary will appear in the available dictionary list.”
  3. ‘Could not o’ : expanded to “Could not open fr-60-only.rws for writing: fr-60-only.rw”
  4. ‘Dictionary dov’ : expanded to “Dictionary download failed”

I couldn’t get more of this last one but clearly the dictionary download failed and this failure must be connected with #3, the inability to write to fr-60-only.rw

I don’t have time today to check this out further but maybe you can ?

hth, Philip

Further to my last post, I just noticed that my panel was filled with lots of little icons representing succesive download failures. Other files which failed to open for write were (and this may not be a complete list) :

Could not open fr_CH-40.multi for writing: fr_CH-40.multi
Could not open fr_CH-40.multi for writing: fr_CH-40.multi
Could not open fr-80.multi for writing: fr-80.multi
Could not open fr.multi for writing: fr.multi
Could not open fr_CH-60.multi for writing: fr_CH-60.multi
Could not open fr_CH-80.multi for writing: fr_CH-80.multi
Could not open fr_FR.multi for writing: fr_FR.multi
Could not open fr_FR-60.multi for writing: fr_FR-60.multi
Could not open fr_FR-40.multi for writing: fr_FR-40.multi
Could not open fr_FR-80.multi for writing: fr_FR-80.multi
Could not open fr_CH-only.rws for writing: fr_CH-only.rws

It would seem that scrivener was attempting to bring down several FR language variants.

Philip

Um, okay, I installed 1.9.01 64-bit from the Deb (on a Lenovo T-400 running Linux Mint 17), presumably over my previous version. Seemed to go just fine. Now Scrivener starts up again, the Help menu shows the correct new version.

However: when I open any of my old projects, I am prompted to update the project to the new format. This appears to be successful, and a backup is created, and the sidebar shows the correct folder of my project, but none of them seem to contain any of the thousands of words I’ve typed.

Suggestions?

Oh … say it is not so. I will not be buying a windows version. I tried it … and it just simply comes up short when compared to the Mac version. I’m really saddened by the news that there will not be any more development of a native Linux version, but I do understand. Damn Cheapa*ss linux freaks.

So, another Mac laptop, then.

That’s just not an accurate or fair stereotype. Are there some people who still think all software should be free? Of course there are, and they use Windows, Mac OS, Linux, and BSD. It has nothing to do with their operating system.

Well, I for one have two licenses…

Same. I’ve got a Windows one and a Mac one somewhere. And Scapple. I love that program so very much.

What does everybody think of crowd funding for further Linux distributions? No funding, no release. Free distributions to donations over $???. Rest of world has to pay a licence fee. Note: I have no idea how crowd funding works in practice, but just throw it out for discussion.

It’s important to note that not everyone’s opinions on this subject are created equal. The key opinion is KB’s, and they made it pretty clear they’re not intending to revisit the subject of a Linux version anytime soon. 1.9.01 is a goodwill gift to the Linux community intended to get the small number (relatively speaking) of Linux users up to the same file format as everyone else. IIRC, they specifically said they aren’t looking into crowdfunding options.

So glad to see this. I just went and bought the Windows version, even though I hardly use my windows machine, to show my gratitude.

Sincerely, thank you.

I don’t suppose we could ask for much more… but we’re thankful for what you’ve done so far.

Sorry to run in late on this, but philjaq, if you’re having trouble downloading the French dictionaries from within Scrivener, you can download and install them manually following the directions in this article.

Thanks to everyone for your great support for Scrivener, both the generous licence purchases and your continued enthusiasm. :slight_smile: We appreciate it!

Sad to see Scrivener for Linux die. I have a lot of problems with Windows version under Wine. Duplicate command creates blank files, labels don’t always work, copy and paste problems. Very sad. Maybe I can afford a mac next time and come back to scrivener. Until then, does anyone know an alternative that actually works well on Linux?

We are all sad, I think. Personally I now do use Scrivener Windows with PlayOnLinux on Linux Mint 17.3. And I must say, that although the Linux version runs a bit smoother, I have no major problems, none of the issues you seem to experience.

However if you cannot live with a non-Linux program, then maybe you should give Writer’s Café a try (writerscafe.co.uk). It is from the guy (Julian Smart) and company (Anthemion) who make Jutoh. Everything is a bit simpler but basically you can do the same things as with Scrivener. The Storyline corkboard is even better. However managing your research material is not as elegant as in Scrivener as well as the look & feel.If you give it a try and decide to buy it then ask Julian for sending you the version 2.40.2, which for whatever reason is not on the website and which he made for me to fix some bugs I reported in January.

Did I mention how much I appreciate that L&L even released a Linux version? I do.

Most companies don’t have the… um… guts to even bother with it.

So, thanks again. You’ve earned my respect, and I will be buying the Windows version in the future, as I won’t be able to pay for a Linux version. It’s the least I could do.