Linux 1.9.01 Beta Released

No prob! I think later versions of Scrivener under WINE work with Scappleā€™s drag/drop feature. They didnā€™t out of the box, but I believe it was fixed awhile ago.

Hi all,
I installed on Xubuntu 15.10 64bit and all seems to be working fine except Scrivener will not import any .doc or .odt files. It says it canā€™t find converter. Help?

Yesā€¦1.9. thxā€¦but there are some questions to the new beta at my side:

• where is the scrivener.sh in the 64bit tar.gz?
  • why stops the new version with a dump?

After some tuning (LD_LIBRARY_PATH) I got the 64Bit binary running.

Looks really good

But the donation website seems to be gone.

Go on pleaseā€¦after so many years, would there be a final release at the end?

Another Linux user who bought a Windows license here! I do use the Windows version though, to take advantage of all of the latest features (I write my books on Linux and finish them on Linux using a VM).

Thanks you SOOOOOOO much and it is indeed sad news, but understandable ones.

Thank you for this generous gift, and for the excellent of Scrivener generally. I had purchased a Mac license back in the day, and a Windows license more recently, but over the past year have been happier & happier with my old Thinkpad running Linux Mint. I run Scapple through Wine, and now have an up to date Linux version of Scrivener. Again, many thanks. Having followed Scrivener for years I am not surprised at your (characteristic) generosity of spirit in this act, but I am very grateful.

I wonā€™t be making many friends saying this but it is yet another reason why I no longer depend on proprietary software. My writing is too important to me to be tied up with the fate/whims/limitations/resources of any vendor, no matter how much I respect or admire them.

I do understand and accept your reasons and I thank you for your hard work and the parting gift of 1.9.0.1 as it means that I can at least access my legacy scriv files and the countless words I wrote in Scrivener from 2006 to 2013.

Thank you for Scrivener for Linux. Iā€™m very sad to hear it wonā€™t be updated, but I plan to continue using the Linux version anyway. Old laptop + linux + scrivener = happy writer.

1 Like

A little late to the game, but thank you from myself as well for the generous gift. If you guys ever change your minds in the future and decide to sell and support this version and sell it either here or some software store like the new Ubuntu store coming up or even Steam, I will happily buy a third copy for myself (already have licenses for Mac and Windows and will probably buy it again if/when it comes out on Android too).

Much obliged to all of you for bringing the linux version this far along. It has been and will continue to be great for me. I was always waiting for the linux version to go on sale, but now Iā€™ve gone ahead and bought the Windows version, although I donā€™t have any plans to use it.

Again, you people are great. Thanks for everything and best of luck with your Win/Mac programs.

A sour comment: I tried to, but the procedure bugged on me, apparently trying to force me to create a paypal account as tried to use a Credit card. Finally I gave up. Wonder how many others gave up for similar reasons.

Iā€™ve been able to round trip between my linux and windows versions. Iā€™ll stick to the main functionality on linux to avoid any bugs.

The linux install worked great out of the box. Superb work. After using it for a few days, Iā€™m very happy with the great functionality. Thanks so much for providing this. I would gladly pay for a supported version.

Hi everyone !

Does someone could tell me what is the differences between the Linux 1.9 version and the Mac 2.7 ? Does Linux 1.9 version looks like the Ā«oldĀ» versions under Mac or not ?
Please, Scrivener Team, keep up the great great job !

David

Hey, just to let the developers know that I really like the Linux version, and now that the Linux beta has no time limitations I finally bought the Windows version. I use Windows on my primary laptop, but my primary writing computer is a netbook running Linux. Sticking my project files to Git and then using that to sync stuff between Windows and Linux seems to work perfectly.
I like the stuff youā€™ve done so far, keep up. Iā€™m in the camp that thinks that thereā€™s no perfect writing software around, but Scrivener is definitely among the least annoying. :slight_smile:

Iā€™m delighted to see the updated Linux beta, although surprisingly late to the party. Iā€™ve been using the prior version for the better part of a year, bought a standard license for my Mac out of support (and the ability to continue to use things upon the impending expiration of the beta), and generally am a huge supporter (and frequent advocate of) Scrivener and its supporting tools.

Thanks so much for this - very much appreciated. As a software developer myself I know itā€™s a ton of work!

As a way of thanks, I have also purchased a Windows license (I had a prior Mac-license). Nowā€¦ I have two Scriveners on my Ubuntu: the Linux and the Windows-version. :smiley:

Thanks a lot!

PD: ā€¦and a happy new year already soonā€¦

Hello,

First, happy new year !

Iā€™d just installed Scrivener on my PC( Asus X200 MA under Ubuntu 14.04). It seems to works, but I canā€™t install French dictionary ā€¦ I tried with both versions (1.7.2.4 and 1.9.0.1), with the same result : some error messages that I canā€™t read because message error boxes are to small to contain the messages ā€¦ Is anyone have an idea to solve it ?

Thank you very much.

Best regards.

Laurent T (from France, explains my english ! )

Bonjour Laurent :

Iā€™m trying to install a french dictionary. I found some of the very small error messages and managed to read some of them by combinations of clicking on the bit I could see and using shift and end buttons to go to the end of the phrase. Followed by ctrl-c to copy and ctrl-v to paste into a text editor. Sometimes it worked :

1. ā€˜Spā€™ : expanded to ā€œSpell check completed.ā€
  2. ā€˜Aā€™ : expanded to ā€œA restart of Scrivener is required before any downloaded dictionary will appear in the available dictionary list.ā€
  3. ā€˜Could not oā€™ : expanded to ā€œCould not open fr-60-only.rws for writing: fr-60-only.rwā€
  4. ā€˜Dictionary dovā€™ : expanded to ā€œDictionary download failedā€

I couldnā€™t get more of this last one but clearly the dictionary download failed and this failure must be connected with #3, the inability to write to fr-60-only.rw

I donā€™t have time today to check this out further but maybe you can ?

hth, Philip

Further to my last post, I just noticed that my panel was filled with lots of little icons representing succesive download failures. Other files which failed to open for write were (and this may not be a complete list) :

Could not open fr_CH-40.multi for writing: fr_CH-40.multi
Could not open fr_CH-40.multi for writing: fr_CH-40.multi
Could not open fr-80.multi for writing: fr-80.multi
Could not open fr.multi for writing: fr.multi
Could not open fr_CH-60.multi for writing: fr_CH-60.multi
Could not open fr_CH-80.multi for writing: fr_CH-80.multi
Could not open fr_FR.multi for writing: fr_FR.multi
Could not open fr_FR-60.multi for writing: fr_FR-60.multi
Could not open fr_FR-40.multi for writing: fr_FR-40.multi
Could not open fr_FR-80.multi for writing: fr_FR-80.multi
Could not open fr_CH-only.rws for writing: fr_CH-only.rws

It would seem that scrivener was attempting to bring down several FR language variants.

Philip

Um, okay, I installed 1.9.01 64-bit from the Deb (on a Lenovo T-400 running Linux Mint 17), presumably over my previous version. Seemed to go just fine. Now Scrivener starts up again, the Help menu shows the correct new version.

However: when I open any of my old projects, I am prompted to update the project to the new format. This appears to be successful, and a backup is created, and the sidebar shows the correct folder of my project, but none of them seem to contain any of the thousands of words Iā€™ve typed.

Suggestions?

Oh ā€¦ say it is not so. I will not be buying a windows version. I tried it ā€¦ and it just simply comes up short when compared to the Mac version. Iā€™m really saddened by the news that there will not be any more development of a native Linux version, but I do understand. Damn Cheapa*ss linux freaks.

So, another Mac laptop, then.