Linux Problem: No "Edit -> Special characters..." dialog

Using Beta 0.2.9…

Editing in either the Linux native environment or the Wine 1.3 environment, selecting the menu item “Edit -> Special characters…” does not produce the expected “Character Map” dialog window, or its equivalent, such as this one in LibraOffice [which happens to be open source; could that code be re-used?]:

Special-Characters.png

Until this is implemented, is there a workaround for inserting special characters, like accents?

Best,

Nathan

For the commonly used accented characters I find it easiest to use the keyboard (Alt Gr + a, etc.). EDIT: forgot to mention I have selected the "USA International (AltGr dead keys) keyboard layout.

You could also run Character map (gucharmap), double-click the character you want then ctrl-v to paste it into your text (not convenient, but still, a workaround).

Thanks, I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll give that a try, but on principle that doesn’t seem to be a very practical approach, unless you actually have a USA International keyboard either at your fingertips or in your head. I love my old-school buckling spring keyboard, which is built like a tank and thrives on day after day of pounding, so I don’t see that happening for me.

And this is exactly what Scrivener should do, since it (apparently anyway) runs the windows equivalent in Windows in any case. In any case thanks, I’d forgotten for the moment about the Gnome character map accessory.

Best,

Nathan

Well, it’s actually just the standard USA keyboard, but the right Alt key (AltGr) has been turned into a compose key for international characters.

Hold the right Alt key down while typing a to get á, or with n you get ñ, etc. So that’s the easiest way to get áéíóúñ. You can also use it like a typical compose key by doing AltGr+’ then the letter to accent, also AltGr +` then the letter for grave accents, AltGr + " then the letter for umlauts, etc. Very easy.

The only disadvantage of this keyboard layout is that for normal Alt key combos, you have to use the left Alt key, since the right one is now being used for the international characters.