Liquid Text and Scrivener workflow

Hi,
I’m curious if anyone has worked out a workflow or even just a usage scenario between Liquid Text and Scrivener?

Liquid Text seems fantastic if you’re writing a dissertation, article (especially a review article) or book. (And you also have a big iPad Pro and Apple pencil). However, it’s not for writing, so much as for reading, scribbling, drawing arrows between things, making comments, little mind-maps, etc. It basically does the stuff you might do on paper when you’re trying to figure out someone’s analysis of a scholarly (or legal) problem and the claims being made. I suppose at minimum you can work through an article and then set up the iPad Pro as a second monitor with Duet. Then you could read your LT notes as you write a Scrivener draft.

I’ve watched some YouTube videos for scholarly and legal use, but I also saw one for fiction use. Alas, I didn’t keep track of that as I’ll have to wait for the next life for fiction. It occurred to me that LT is complementary to Scrivener, which was written writing fiction and appropriated for academic uses, where Liquid Text was written for academics and then appropriated–by at least one person–for fiction use.

linn

Liquid Text falls into the category of those apps that made me think “I must have that”, after which I used it once, and never went back to it again. But what that really says, I believe, is that the kind of work I do doesn’t really require that much annotation of pdfs. I almost automatically start reading in something like PDF Expert, highlight the parts that interest me, and extract those. That is about all I need to do. I had a great time drawing circles round bits of pdf in various colours with Liquid Text the one time I used it, but those annotations were never really of any use to me. In fact, I find it much more useful to move away from the original source and put the extracted matter into another program, such as iThoughts.

Sorry not to be more useful, but I’m ever more convinced that it is not just about the program, more about a kind of interaction between user, task, and program. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t.

I have a similar experience. I have made several attempts to start using Liquid Text but always fall back to Papers 3 for scientific articles and Notability and iAnnotate for everything else.

Part of the challenge with Liquid Text is that it is so unique that PDFs marked up/annotated in LT are not usefully viewable in other apps. All that annotation jazz that LT performs is great, but it needs broader adoption by others. Or, LT needs to provide a way to see and work with a PDF file on other platforms. This silo effect has always been a concern for me. How heavily can I do all my research annotating in an app where, if LT goes out of business, I’m screwed. Messes with the universality of PDF format!