List of recent documents

As I work with documents in different parts of my manuscript at various times, I often forget what I was working on last time I used Scrivener. It would be useful to be able to see, say, the ten most recent documents I have been editing.

1 Like

Scrivener always records the documents you visit using a split independent history system very similar to your web browser (except Scrivener’s history will persist between sessions). At the top of the editor, by the name of the item you are editing, you’ll find back and forward buttons.

At the moment this isn’t interactive, you just click the buttons to scroll through the document navigation history, but in the future we’ll be adding a right-click menu on those buttons so you can see the whole list at once and jump straight to a thing instead of having to go one by one.

Has this happened, does it work with split editors? I am unable to do this. I run down the whole long list of files worked on. Which can be hard on a particularly long day. But the saving grace is that as I back flow through that random sequence items will ‘reveal in binder’ and that helps.

I don’t think right-click was added, for some reason, but if you click and hold on the button it will show the full list.

2 Likes

Excellent fast answer, thank you, ‘the full list’ appears to stretch back to fill the screen completely, I was hoping for some sort of grouping a la Windows Explorer (Today, This Week, This Month, Long Time Ago) etc, I can dream right,

In fairness though, the list presented seems to be in exact, sequential, backward order, and given my random choices of files to edit, That helps. I’ll drink to that,

Navigate > Editor > Clear Document History will clear the history of the active editor. That can be handy to do when the list becomes ungainly.

2 Likes

Lol.
That’s a good one.
I learned something today. :slight_smile:

Thanks @AmberV
Woot.

2 Likes

Great tip, Thanks. I’ll drink to that too, :wine_glass:

2 Likes

If you want documents that were modified, rather than simply viewed, that’s a searchable field and can also be displayed and sorted by in the Outliner view.

1 Like