Literature & Latte forums don’t play nice with Discourse Hub app

Being a user of Discourse (the forum software) on many different sites I have downloaded and used the Discourse Hub app for iPadOS which is supposed to centralise all my Discourse incarnations in one place. All the other instances of Discourse I use, which includes NaNoWriMo and Meta Discourse, let me sign in from the app. The forums here don’t! I get an Unauthorised API Access message or some such. This then requires me to Login as if I was using a true web browser rather than an encapsulated one as an app. I have to do that every time I want to check here via the app.

2 Likes

I’ll have to take a closer look at the security ramifications and settings, but off the top of my head I would say it’s because I have API access disabled.

“gone but not forgotten”.

No it’s entirely a Discourse setup feature. If you tried to do the same thing with the Android version of the Discourse Hub app it would eleciit the error message.

Tried again and the message says I’m not authorised to use the API because of my [Discourse] trust level, which is odd I signed up for Aeon Timeline’s forum today and used Discourse Hub’s app with no errors. I’ve not reached TL1 on Aeon’s forum instance.

I honestly haven’t had time to look into it much beyond some initial skimming (enough to tell me there isn’t much documentation on the matter). I’ll update this thread when I know more, or have fixed it.

As an update to anyone else interested in using this mobile app, it should now be working, so long as you’ve used the forum enough to satisfy the criteria of being a “basic user”.

3 Likes

Wowser. And it works too.

Thanks for sharing with us, it really works fantastic for me.

I just found this app today. On a whim I looked in the iOS App Store to see if such a thing existed. Yayness! Now I can access the L&L forums from anywhere! (Probably still won’t post any more than I did before; but anything is possible. :grin: )

Using it this way for months on end, works as a charm. Don’t be surprised when the icon of the app shrinks to mimimal proportions. :wink:

1 Like

Interesting. I’ve never experienced an app do that (4 years on Android and just a few months on iPhone.) I’ll keep it in mind.

Someone reported it over on the Discourse meta hub as happening to them.

Maybe it’s only on Android devices?

Found this:

1 Like