Mac & IOS Sync Question

I have purchased Scrivener for my MacBook Air (LOVE IT).

I’d like to have Scrivener for my iPad Pro as well.

I’d like to be able to sync between the two.

1. Do I have to pay (AGAIN) in order to download the Scrivener app for my iPad Pro?

2. If so, why would a customer already paying have to do that?

3. Can they even sync at all?

Thanks!

Jamie

1 & 2. You have to pay for the iOS version because it is a different computer architecture/platform, with its own significant development and support costs, same as true for the Mac OS X version, same as true for the Windows version. There’s no such thing as being able to develop a single version of a significant real world app that can simply be written once and then automagically be recompiled without significant change across such markedly different architectures.

1. Yes, they sync, via DropBox, as evidenced in the announcements, product literature, conversations in these forums and reviews posted by purchasers on the app store. I routinely sync between Scrivener for Windows and Scrivener for iOS without problems.

Note that the Apple App Store (where you can buy Scrivener for Mac) and the Apple iTunes Store (where you buy Scrivener for iOS, and all other iOS applications) are not the same. Despite the confusing similarity of names, they are entirely different venues and one has no knowledge of the other.

(Yes, I once helped a user who was unclear on this point, and was very annoyed about his inability to reinstall Mac software from the iTunes Store.)

So no, the Mac Scrivener license is not applicable to the iOS version.

Katherine