Mac Preferences keyboard shortcuts vs Scrivener keyboard shortcuts

Ah, the litany of my misdemeanours grows. How did I miss that thread? Though I wasn’t too far off in my first post when I asked: “Do you still have Scrivener 2 installed on your Mac, as well as Scrivener 3?”

Clicking to open and markup / edit in Preview or another app, if necessary, not suitable?

Slàinte mhòr.

Ha, hardly! Thanks for all your help with this and everywhere else.

That’s possible sure, but not too different from just loading it into a graphics editor at that point. The way I have things set up, Hazel loads new files with “Screenshot” in the name when they land in the screenshot folder, so I don’t really have to do much. :slight_smile:

So, the next time L&L posts a call for people to join the tech-support team, I can still apply? :stuck_out_tongue:

And on a serious note, if someone wants to blog or write a how-to book about Scrivener, do they have to get formal permission to use screenshots?

What does Hazel then do with the screenshots? Files them only or triggers an editing app? Most screenshots I use have short lives on my Mac. They get used in posts or emails or messaging apps and then binned.

Slàinte mhòr.

As they say in the midwest, ya y’betcha!

I’m pretty sure that all falls under fair use / right to quote / etc. A good place to check for stuff like that are the policy guidelines for web pages that archive vast quantities of such things, like Wikipedia. Well, we certainly don’t have a problem with the publicity at any rate.

They get saved into a folder that Hazel generally keeps cleaned out. I have a simple rule that basically asks whether a file has been seen yet, and if so if it has been modified in the past three hours. If it’s older than that, it gets dumped—unless it is a .scriv with a user.lock file still in it. There are other useful functions I have attached to these “disposable file” folders—like uploading the saved screenshot to the LnL web server and putting the uploaded URL onto the clipboard so I can paste it into the post that I’m drafting while all of that is going on. Lots of stuff!

Needless to say, I love Hazel. :smiley:

Thanks for all of the above.

If I did produce a book, I think I would seek permission from Keith: to cover my back and to be polite. But I am a long way from that. Just a nascent idea at the moment.

Must remember to look at Hazel…so many apps clamouring for attention.

In my head, I pronounce your name as a Brit would say Iowa, but dropping the soft ‘w’ sound in the middle. Is that right?

Slàinte mhòr.

Just “eye oh”, the ‘a’ is silent. Around where I live though, everyone says it “ee oh ah”, which I kind of like!

Blame A. A. Milne.

Blame Christopher Robin.

Blame Winnie-the-Pooh.

Blame Piglet, Kanga, Tigger, and Roo.

Blame me for being a Brit and being hounded by that wretched bear at every cultural turn.

But when I first saw “eye oh”, I thought Eeyore, and now I can’t get that thought out of my head. (Not mocking your name. Just how the synapses fired on first sight.)

But seriously, I would never have guessed the correct pronunciation. Why a silent “a”? Where does your name originate from? You mean that the Spanish say “ee oh ah”? Love Spain. Only been a couple of times. What led you from Portland to Santiago de Compostela?

Slàinte mhòr.

I blame Christopher Robin for a great many things!

To answer in order: to be ornery and confuse both computers and humans alike, from a fancy of the imagination, and yes, that is how the vowels read to them, but all run together like a single extended triphthong. And lastly, mainly family, but now that I’m here I love it! And ten thousand years of history aside, there are interesting similarities to where I once lived; it hasn’t been a difficult transition in terms of culture.

@AmberV am curious if you have updated and if you are encountering any issues with automation so far. Thinking of taking the plunge myself…

I’m still using 10.12.6 for my main stable working environment. Apple has improved things on the automation front though. My earlier description was from betas over the summer, and it could have been a combination of bad policies by Apple, and/or a lack of compatibility with better mechanisms that automation developers needed to adopt.

Either way, the end result is that when I finally did a full 14.0 update to the testing Mac, setting up my tools didn’t take too much effort. Often just need to drop the program into the Accessibility list, in Security & Privacy, or check it off if it is already there. I think with Typinator and Keyboard Maestro, the two big heavy hitters on my system, all I needed to do was have them listed in Accessibility.

That isn’t to say there are no dumb, overly protective things left, there are, and some programs still require advanced tweaks and such in order to fully function. You still see over the top stuff like the permission request to use the feature that opens the compiled document for you automatically.

I’ll probably skip over 10.13 entirely and go straight to 10.14 later this year on the main system, once it’s up to .4 or .5. But given the stability of the 10.14.3 system, I’d say it’s safe to jump into it at this point. They seem to have cleaned out the worst of the performance & stability problems.

Good to know, thanks - I am running 10.13 at the moment, with no problems t all but nothing special achieved with the upgrade either. I needed to upgrade for compatibility with something but I can’t even remember what it was…

Facing same problem from last 3 days. Now finally solve it. Thanks