Managing a long list of references

Hello.

My problem is this: I am looking to write something in Scrivener in which I will have a rather long list of references (well, over 30 - obviously many books have been written using Scrivener with more than this). I know how to make footnotes and endnotes, however I am hoping for guidance on slightly more advanced functionality.

In particular, I would like to be able to make new texts/folders in Scrivener that link to these references, but I do not want to have to load all of my references into Scrivener. The reason for this is that it will cause Scrivener to take up a lot of memory, and will also cause it to take longer to load. For projects with over 100 references this is especially a problem. On the other hand, I still want my references stored in Scrivener so that I can read them alongside my text while using a split view, and perhaps I can stop using other tools for storing and organizing research materials if I can get Scrivener to work well.

I thought maybe there would be a way to set up ‘texts’ which just contain file locations and which can be used to temporarily load references into scrivener. If nothing else, using the version control feature (so that I can just revert back to the previous ‘draft’ of the reference page after I’m done reading the reference) would work. However, I am wondering what is the easiest way to go about doing this.