Manually enter a word count?

Hi,

Is there any way I can manually edit/enter a word count for a scrivener document? I’d like my Scrivener word count to match my nano one.

If not, could you please consider it for a feature please.

I have only include documents in draft selected and everything else excluded, but still Scrivener is telling me I have 13 more words than I have.

If I may make a related request…could Scrivener perhaps store doc word counts as fields within the Index? Writers require these values, and may wish to access them externally as Stacey does. But they’re calculated dynamically, and don’t appear to be retained anywhere. I count words via AutoHotkey, but that’s a slow nuisance, and Scriv is already going to the trouble of indexing each doc. The counts would be as current as the index: fine for most purposes, and possibly useful for Scriv’s internals.

Thanks for considering – Jerome

There are a lot of word-count algorithms out there, so it’s not surprising you’ll get slightly different results from Scrivener vs. Word vs. NaNoWriMo vs. OpenOffice vs. other programs. My recollection is that NaNo treats words connected with punctuation as a single word, so whereas Scrivener will count words on either side of an em-dash as as two separate words, NaNo counts the whole thing as one word. On the flip side, I believe if you add a space to either side of the emdash, NaNo will count the emdash itself as a word, whereas Scrivener will ignore it.

You can use compile replacements to help you out with this a bit at the end, when you compile your document to submit to the validation count. Run a few tests with the site counter to see what it picks up as words, then modify your punctuation with spaces (or removing them) in the replacements to bring your counts more into sync.

As to the particular request to enter/edit a word count in a document, I’m not really sure what you’re asking for. You can always just enter the number manually instead of using the <$wc> placeholder. There’s not a way to manually put a number in the project statistics or such. Maybe create a custom meta-data field to record your manual word counts? I’m not sure if that’s close to what you’re looking for or not.

Trouble my my wordcounts in Scrivener vary a lot from NaNos. Don’t have other problems with other word processor wordcounts.

To give an actual example my current nano wordcount is 19406, but Scrivener is giving me a wordcount of 19485. If this was a difference of 1 or 2 I wouldn’t mind but 79 words makes a big difference.

Where are you getting the word count from? Keep in mind that Project Targets will include any inline notation, and Project Statistics uses your compile settings, so you may want to check there that you’re not including titles, “Chapter” prefixes and so forth, as that would all be adding to the count also.

I’ve also noticed that just copying the text from Scrivener and putting it into the Nanowrimo gadget includes the comments whether they’re inline annotations OR inspector comments. To get a ‘pure’ text you have to compile. I lost 300 ‘words’ that way…

Thanks MM will check compile settings. That total I gave you was generated in the scrivenings view footer bar.

Like project targets, this is a live wordcount, so it counts everything in the editor, inline annotations and footnotes included. Project Stats, with clean compile settings or options (if checking a selection rather than the complete draft), will probably give you a better number in that case.

You can use Edit > Copy Special > Copy without Comments and Footnotes.

In case this tip is helpful to anyone, here’s what I do for submitting a NaNo word count:

Since I’m on the Windows version of Scrivener, which lacks many of the Mac features like “Select All” from the editor in scrivenings mode), I made a custom compile preset that removes part and chapter names & headings (though you could leave the “Chapter One”, “Chapter Two”, etc. headings if you prefer to count them), then set “Compile For” to “Preview”. That dialog contains the entire project text, without headings, and I can “Select All” using Ctrl-A, or other common Windows selection techniques (eg. Ctrl-Shift-End), copy that, and paste into NaNo.

To turn off the titles for this, I changed the Formatting section in the Compile settings window. Specifically, I un-checked the “Title” column for “Level 1” and “Level 2+” folders, and also clicked the “Section Layout” button for those to remove the default prefix.

Then I saved this as a preset called “NaNoWriMo Validation”.

Can you? Excellent – always new features to learn.

Thanks very much Jennifer.

Good tip, Blue Ninja!

To simplify this further, you can start with the “Original” preset, which doesn’t include any extras like titles or prefixes. If you use inspector comments, you can exclude them from compile under the “Footnotes & Comments” section (inline annotations are already set for removal by default).

If you have already created custom compile settings, be sure to save those first via the “Save Preset” button so you can switch back to those when you want to compile for real. :slight_smile: