Markdown -> PDF fails

First this error message:

Behind it, the following error log. (it says there’s a kell.log transcript, but Find Any File can’t find it)

Any help?

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.20 (MiKTeX 2.9.7250)
entering extended mode
(kell.tex
LaTeX2e <2020-02-02> patch level 1
L3 programming layer <2020-02-08>

! LaTeX Error: File `mmd6-memoir-book-leader.tex’ not found.

Type X to quit or to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: tex)

Enter file name:
! Emergency stop.
<read *>

l.1 \input{mmd6-memoir-book-leader}

! ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!
Transcript written on kell.log.

This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159265-2.6-1.40.20 (MiKTeX 2.9.7250) (preloaded format=pdflatex 2020.2.15) 17 FEB 2020 14:18
entering extended mode
**./kell.tex
(kell.tex
LaTeX2e <2020-02-02> patch level 1
L3 programming layer <2020-02-08>

! LaTeX Error: File `mmd6-memoir-book-leader.tex’ not found.

Type X to quit or to proceed,
or enter new name. (Default extension: tex)

Enter file name:
! Emergency stop.
<read *>

l.1 \input{mmd6-memoir-book-leader}

*** (cannot \read from terminal in nonstop modes)

Here is how much of TeX’s memory you used:
19 strings out of 483496
510 string characters out of 2965177
231005 words of memory out of 3000000
15116 multiletter control sequences out of 15000+200000
532338 words of font info for 24 fonts, out of 3000000 for 9000
0 hyphenation exceptions out of 8191
12i,0n,15p,73b,10s stack positions out of 5000i,500n,10000p,200000b,50000s
! ==> Fatal error occurred, no output PDF file produced!

I’ve never used MiKTeX on a Mac before, so I’m no expert at how to make sure it is set up right to find support files. Firstly you should compile to .tex so you can better see what is going on. You should get a folder with these various .tex files in them (like the mentioned mmd6-memoir-book-leader.tex). If you open Terminal to this test folder and run pdflatex from there, does it work?

With MacTeX, the current folder is considered a valid include location.

MikTex isn’t the standard way of doing this, you mean?

It may be perfectly fine. There may be some other problem going on than what I speculate on above, hence I why suggested going through each step manually to see if that makes the point of failure clearer. If you don’t get these .tex files in your output folder (and don’t have them installed in your texmf folder), then that would also explain why the engine can’t find them.

No errors in Markdown -> Latex compile, and the export includes mention of mmd-memoir-book-leader.

\input{mmd6-memoir-book-leader}
\def\mytitle{}
\def\myauthor{}
\input{mmd6-memoir-book-begin}

\begin{figure}[htbp]
\centering
\includegraphics[width=330pt,height=500pt]{DividedMinds.png}
\caption{}
\label{dividedminds}
\end{figure}

\newpage

\begin{figure}[htbp]
\centering
\includegraphics[width=330pt,height=31pt]{butterfly129x10.png}
\caption{}
\label{butterfly129x10}
\end{figure}

Divided Minds

by

B. R. Treat

\begin{figure}[htbp]
\centering
\includegraphics[width=330pt,height=31pt]{butterfly129x10.png}
\caption{}
\label{butterfly129x10-1}
\end{figure}

\newpage

Copyright

Copyright © 2020 B. R. Treat\
http:\slash \slash deepspacecorps.com\
All rights reserved.

Cover by B. R. Treat; “Mystical Flame” © Igor Kirillov\slash CanStock; “Beautiful teenager girl” 81293573 © Ruslan Solntsev\slash 123RF; “Saturn in endless dark space” 631342376 © Vadim Sadovski\slash Shutterstock.

… (and so on)

Here’s the output folder. It doesn’t have any added files.

Here’s the texmf folder (I suppose).

Here’s another texmf file. I have NO CLUE what these are for.

I thought MikTeX was a Windows distribution? I’ve only ever used MacTeX (which is a variant of TeX Live), and the person who develops it has deep knowledge of macOS and the various platform-specific tweaks needed (and provides a small minimal installer). Nevertheless, your problem only seems to be related to finding the header files that the MMD template uses, so as long as you work out which path MikTex uses, you should be fine…

I’ve always considered MiKTeX to be the definitive Windows distribution as well, but it does indeed look like they’ve ported to Mac (or maybe were always there but in low profile).

At any rate, it should be able to work—it is very likely a texmf configuration problem. You’ve found where the MultiMarkdown installer places its support files (and Scrivener has found them as well, which is why it isn’t bothering to reproduce them into your output folder). My guess is MiKTeX configuration needs to be told where this folder is (/usr/local/share/texmf).

It’s probably something you can very easily set up in the MiKTeX Console—I recall that being possible in the Windows front-end.