The archive contains the converter mellel2mmd.xsl a test document test.mellel and a Platypus Droplet. The converter is not fully functional yet, but it already has some advantages over importing RTF files from Mellel. YMMD, of course.
There’s a new version of mellel2mmd on my website, that comes with a special version for Scrivener. The new converter does now preserve footnotes and annotations (i.e. the second note stream in Mellel). 8)
Sorry for the trouble with mellel2mmd. I’ve only tested it on two machines so far, so it may well be that I’ve made some stupid mistake in the bash script. main.xml is the actual document inside your .mellel package. There’s obviously something wrong with the path if it can’t be found, but I have no idea what
As a last resort you could run mellel2mmd from the command line. Unzip mellel2mmd on your desktop, open the terminal and try
xsltproc -o test.txt mellel2mmd.xsl test.mellel/main.xml
That should produce a Markdown file named test.txt from test.mellel.
If you find this to complicated you can use Stephen Still’s Mellel XSLT Export Runner from the Mellel forum. Just select my mellel2mmd.xsl instead of his mellel2html.xsl file. Note that this is not the special XSLT file for Scrivener. That one is buried in the Contents/Resources folder inside the “Mellel2MMD (Srivener)” bundle (right-click, open package…).
BTW: Is anyone here familiar with Platypus? Fletcher? Amber? The bash script looks currently like this:
thanks for this. i will try it out this afternoon.
it could also be that i have put the mellel app in a weird place - my copy is in a file called Mellel in the applications folder. perhaps mellel2mmd expects it to be somewhere else. also i put mellel2mmd in a folder of the same name, also in the apps folder.
did i accidentally break an important symmetry?
PS i am v curious how outlines versus document sections/headings come out differently in mmd and ultimately scriv!
No, this is not your fault. The Droplet doesn’t even need Mellel.app to work (well… it doesn’t seem to work at all, but theoretically…). It depends on a command line utility that comes with Apple’s Safari browser.
No, this looks ok to me. MultiMarkdown is only a plain text format that has no concept of sectioning fonts, etc. Scrivener imports only the structure/outline of an MMD document, so your binder in Scrivener should look like this:
All other relevant information is still there, but it is preserved in MMD syntax, which Scrivener itself does not interpret. Note that MMD is not just a file format, it’s also a Perl program that reads this format and transforms it into XHTML. The XHTML can in turn be transformed into something else like RTF, LaTeX or HTML.
I have attached a PDF file that was created from the same test.mellel document as yours. The only difference is that I used “MultiMarkdown -> LaTeX” to compile the draft. I can make my LaTeX setup available to you, but it requires an installation of MacTeX and a good working knowledge of LaTeX and friends to use it. test.pdf (66.6 KB)
unchecked “compressed file” saving mellel and tried again using a list file in the form of an outline. for good measure, i tried both of your mmd xsl’s. they produced identical output! neither of the files was an mmd file that scriv would accept, they looked like this:
what would really be cool was if there was a way to make outlines in mellel that would come out as thought the outline heading were auto-titles. this would probably give the right results in the melle2mmd converter.
after all, the mellel outline is just text. you would expect it to come out just as text in an mmd file. a mellel text with autotitles/section titles, would probably come out the right way in an mmd file .
mellel should really allow you to create outlines/autotitles easiy. that is really my current issue.
Yep, this behaviour is intended. The list in your example is a valid Markdown list and would produce a proper HTML or LaTeX document. You can easily verify this with one the various testbeds for Markdown and its dialects:
After all, the mellel2mmd converter has to satisfy the MultiMarkdown program. What you really want is a converter for Mellel-lists to Markdown-sections. I guess I could rewrite the converter to do that, but it’s actually a lot easier to use grep or sed to transform your markdown lists.
if i were better at grep, this would probably be v easy…
as it is i am just gettging to grips with it. if i knew the right expression for an arbitrary sequence of words/text before a it would be much easier. then i could search for the title of my heading/outline item and put “#'s” around it.
sorry for being so green and thanks for your help.