Microsoft's Accuracy when Aiming at Their Feet Is Unparalleled!

Breathe…just breathe…

As many of you who read these forums know, I’ve been excited about the Windows version of Scrivener 3 making excellent progress to free me from the $$ maelstrom that is Apple.

I don’t like Windows. My preference for OS is Mac>Ubuntu/Mint>Redhat>Windows. But price combined with program availability often drives me to Windows.

And now, Windows has found a new way to shoot themselves in the foot if they actually go through with this:

Windows DaaS. “Desktop as a Service” - you will no longer own Windows. You will rent Windows.

My mouth was literally agape when I read the articles. Surely, this is a joke? Are they TRYING to give Apple and Linux a boost? I refuse to rent my OS. Sorry.Not happening.

The only good thing is there is still plenty of time for them to reverse course. But we’ll see if they do. Just like Apple is convinced every hardware idea that pops into their heads is sheer brilliance and refuses to admit failure (cough touchbar, butterfly keyboard cough), Microsoft has a history of thinking that about their OS ideas (Windows 8, ME etc.)

Scrivener helped teach me how to organize and structure my novel. Perhaps in five years if neither Apple nor Windows see the error of their ways I’ll be forced to make my own Scrivener substitute on a Linux distro.

Or maybe there will be enough demand by frustrated, poor writers like myself that L&L will finally make an official Debian version. One can dream, right?

If you don’t want to go OSX, but want to use Scrivener, so far the beta of Scrivener 3 works out of the box via WINE. There’s one glitch with it not exiting cleanly, but lsof | egrep “wine” will find the PID that’s hanging on, and you can kill it that way. (It’s also an issue with Crossover, so I’m about 99% sure it’s a problem with Scrivener, since earlier betas exited cleanly.)

I’m running out the door, but I’d love to chat about being Linux-only, as I’ve been since Vista was a thing.

You’ve been reading articles by Vaughn-Nichols, haven’t you? I swear, that man manages to completely misread everything related to Microsoft.

Microsoft’s DaaS offering is aimed at enterprises, not commercial users. What’s still currently unknown is just how large of an enterprise you have to be to even qualify for this as an option, and there are plenty of business cases where it makes a lot of financial sense to pay a single per-desktop fee and have Microsoft manage the updating, patching, etc.

I remember Vaughn-Nichols screaming that the introduction of Office 365 for Home (the consumer subscription version of the Office application suite) was the death of Office as we knew it, that Microsoft was going to force everyone to subscribe or stop using Office. But, to this day, you can go buy a license key for a standalone version of the latest Office suite, install it on your PC, and never have to worry about a subscription – or you can buy a subscription and not have to worry about updating the application suite and get a few other benefits thrown in for good measure ($99/year on up to five PCs/Macs, a highly expanded OneDrive quota, and the ability to share your license with other members of your household so that they can also get the OneDrive quota – may not make sense for everyone, but for a lot of us, it does).

My point is, people have been screaming for years that Microsoft is trying to make everything subscription only and pointing to every change they’ve made as proof. And they’ve been wrong, every time. They’re wrong this time too. They may be right one day, but today is not that day.

If you want to switch to all Linux, do it because that’s what you want to do to get the right software for what you want to do; all hardware sucks, all software sucks, and you find the flavor of suckage you can live with. Don’t switch because of idiots hacks like Vaughn-Nichols who can’t even get the details right about their beloved Linux operating system. I swear to all the gods, if that man said surise was coming I’d expect that to be the day that the Earth got kicked out of solar orbit so we’d never see another dawn.

LOL I went back and checked the articles. Yes, you were right, they were written by him (apparently he is a contributor at a lot of sites)… I then searched again with the words “for business” added and found other writers publishing articles at the same time where Windows said that their DaaS program was aimed at companies with under 100 employees.

The articles I found didn’t rule out that DaaS may be coming to private users, but, as you said, it doesn’t seem that’s where Windows is headed at the moment.

I have considered switching to Linux before, but it’s simply not practical for everything I do on a computer. If I was just consuming content, I would in a heartbeat. I have put many of my older relatives on it just to save me the headache of having to constantly fix their machines. But while Linux certainly has plenty of media creation software, I’ve yet to find anything I’d rather use over Adobe, and I’d rather not be dependent on WINE for programs, lest an update to either WINE or the original application make it unusable on my machine.

I always do keep a linux box running though; it’s normally where I try out my websites.

I don’t always agree with what you write, but sometimes your posts make me smile like a Cheshire cat.
Wonderful post. :smiley:

As a colleague once expressed it: better to be almost correct than exactly wrong. :slight_smile:

“The perfect is the enemy of the good.”

I’d probably be a lot more invested (timewise) in modern versions of Linux if that systemd horseshit hadn’t come along…

I have an uncle who, being a farmer, always fixes and builds stuff he needs for his farm. When he’s done he often says:
“This is perfect! An experienced craftsman couldn’t have done it better.”

Later, when it turned out it didn’t function as expected, he’d simply revise it. If you then asked him “… but you said it was perfect?”, he’d answer:

“It was! And now it’s even more perfect!”

That’s what I call a positive view on life. :laughing:

Ah yeah, Adobe doesn’t do very well with WINE, or hadn’t the last time I tried. Granted, it was over 5 years ago, so things may be quite different. Sibelius and Finale are industry-standard for my field, and while I’m fine with lilypond, there’s an awful lot of “just upload your Sibelius/Finale score!” for calls for works. :confused: