Missing "Body" paragraph format preset

I’m helping a friend import her book into Scrivener iOS, now that she has an avalanche of notes from her publishing house. (Amazingly this coincides with her sudden, fervent wish to learn Scrivener.)

Having imported from MSWord, when we examine the paragraph format presets across all her scrivenings, “Body” is missing. It’s simply not on the menu. Formats go from “Block Quote” to “Caption.” How then to reformat errant styles?

Any suggestions on how to get it back?

Scrivener’s design is that you only style the text that differs from the main body, so when you export, you can override the (typically) vast majority of text formatting, while still preserving block quotes (as a style applied to just that text) and other similar styles. This allows an author to stop worrying about accidental variations in font faces or sizes in a large body of work, and only concentrate on the exceptions to the standard paragraph formatting of the project.

You might want to try helping her immediately compile back to Word, to see how the un-styled text comes out, and figure out how to make it look correct for the next round of edits.

The alternative to this is to create a “body” style, and apply it to all the un-styled text, but that risks accidentally wiping out any other styles that might be intermittenly applied to some small passages of text. It should be unnecessary to do this, so I recommend avoiding it and instead getting to grips with the “Scrivener way” of using styles within Scrivener itself, instead of trying to apply how styles are used in a layout-centric program like Word.

Many thanks for the quick response.

Indeed, I understand the schema that “Body” or “Normal Text” is rather the implicit, undeclared preference in the Scrivener-verse. What I’m attempting to answer for my friend are the unfortunate instances, post-import, where her paragraphs are appearing as “List Items” or other incorrect formats.

Having “Body” as a paragraph format preset would be a one tap remedy to the corruption. Copy/Paste Formatting is a four tap remedy.

She’s just learning. Simplicity seduces. Complexity puts off.

Select, and Convert to drfault formatting

Sadly, on iOS that’s at least three taps, maybe four—select text, tap Paintbrush, if needed tap Styles, tap Formatting Options, and finally tap Use Default Formatting. There’s no Binder level command to convert a document(s) to Default Formatting as on the Mac.

I know, but the poster has Mac + iOS, so the simple solution would be to import to the Mac and then save it to a shared Dropbox folder. :wink: