Missing lines of text across page breaks

After a LOT of testing, it seems the culprit is the “avoid widows and orphans” being selected… however I’ve never had a problem (in seven books) with having this feature checked until now (WIP #8). Starting with the second from last chapter, it’s missing lines across page-breaks, and even when those chapters are the ONLY chapters I compile, it does this. I’ve tried reordering the sections, playing with individual files, retyping the entire files, nothing wrong with the line-heights or other suggestions… it just breaks, and this seems rather… sudden.

Running 3.3.4 (16228) with MacOS Ventura… with an outstanding system update waiting in the wings… I’ll update this if updating the system miraculously helps.

Many thanks for figuring out the trigger on this. It turns out that this is a side effect of one of the crasher fixes in 3.3.4. I had to decouple the size of two components in a page to work around a nasty Apple bug, but that meant that I then had to keep the sizes in sync myself. Unfortunately I forgot to do so in the widows, orphans and footnotes layout code, which meant that the visible area was resizing to make room for these things, but not the real, laid out area, resulting in lines being cut off.

Please try this build, which should fix the issue:

I’ll get 3.3.5 out later today or tomorrow once the fix is confirmed.

Thanks again and all the best,
Keith

1 Like

Yes, I have this issue too since upgrading to 3.3.4!
Very confusing as “avoid widow and orphans” didn’t cause any issue before…

Please read my post above, which is directly above yours and both explains the issue and provides a fix. Or you can wait for 3.3.5, which will be out later today and includes the fix.

All the best,
Keith

Yes thank you, I’ve downloaded the fix you uploaded and it fixed the issue :slightly_smiling_face:

I’ve installed the newest update, and it has solved some of the problems with footnotes simply wiring overtop of regular text. However, now the compile for PDF simply leaves out some footnotes and cuts off others…?

If it helps with the trouble shooting, it’s skipping footnotes because it will only print one footnote per page despite having multiple footnotes on a page. Can’t speak to the cutting off of the footnote though.

Many thanks for joining the forums to take the time to post this, and for the information on what is happening.

And argh, I think Sonoma might be the most rocky release we’ve ever had - it’s been like whack-a-mole. So I think the problem is this:

  • To work around a crash in page view (which is also used for printing) caused by an odd glitch in Sonoma, I had to decouple the automatic resizing of some components in the page and handle resizing them myself.
  • In 3.3.4, this fixed the crashes, but I had missed a couple of areas that now needed manual resizing, resulting in clipped text where there were widows or orphans or footnotes. I fixed this by updating the resizing.
  • In 3.3.5, that fix was applied, but it seems I was too zealous and fixed up the sizing in one place where it wasn’t needed. (In theory it shouldn’t have mattered but in reality, because of an oddity of the text system, it did.)

I’m kicking myself over testing on a document that didn’t have more than one footnote per page (I didn’t see the cut-offs, but that was probably because I didn’t have enough footnotes).

I would be very grateful if you could test the following build and let me know if it fixes the issue for you (it should):

Simply download, unzip, and move this version to your Applications folder. (The build number should be 16273 in Scrivener > About Scrivener.)

If this works, I’ll work to get 3.3.6 with this fix out very shortly.

Thanks again and all the best,
Keith

Wow! You are fast. Yes! that fixes it, thank you very much!

1 Like

Great! Thanks for confirming! I’ll get an official 3.3.6 out with this fix early next week.

All the best,
Keith