Missing user manual

When I tried to open the user manual, from inside Scrivener, I got this error message:

Couldn’t find the user manual in the Scrivener Resource folder. Installing Scrivener again will correct this problem.

I checked the C:/Program Files/Resource folder and the user manual was not there but everything else was and otherwise Scrivener works perfectly.

I did the reinstall and it did not fix the problem.

I am running Windows XP with service pack one.

What should I do?

(An off topic question… This question is about software error messages in general, not specific to Scrivener, though it is included:

With “MOST” software packages–but not all–for many years, both in Windows and Linux, the pop up error messages are set to prevent copying and pasting of the error message. Do you have any idea why this is done? )

I hear you on the text of error messages not being copyable. I’m guessing it has to do with labels not being copyable by default. When you are making bunches of these things all of the time, it can be easy to forget to turn it on. On Linux that would just depend on the kit, but since a lot of stuff is QT these days and Scrivener is QT, it might be a common default.

Anyway, you can always download the latest version of the manual from the support page.

Re: downloading the tutorial

True, and I did download a copy, but shouldn’t it be included since it was part of the interactive tutorial?

Keith

Yes, the manual is meant to be included with the program; it was left out by oversight in the last installer. It’ll be there next beta and of course in the official verison.

June 4 2021 Still no manual in the Scrivener Resource folder.

How are you installing Scrivener?

For the release version of Scrivener 3.0.1.0 , it installs in C:\Program Files\Scrivener3 by default (if you install with admin privileges.) Be sure you’re checking the correct location.

If you’re still not seeing it, you may need to disable your anti-virus, re-install Scrivener, whitelist Scrivener and its installation directory, then re-enable anti-virus. Some AV suites will not only interfere with Scrivener running, but may also interfere with all of it being properly installed.

On Windows 10 with only native Defender, I don’t have to pause AV or whitelist Scrivener, but your mileage may vary.