Modifying themes

I just started using the Solarized Dark theme, which I’ve found to be easier on my eyes. The one thing I would like to change, if possible, is the color of the text in a selected block. Text is normally white in this theme; when you select a block of text (to delete it, for instance), it’s a brighter white; to my eyes, at least,that’s not all that different from the unselected text.

What I’d like to do is make the selected text stand out a bit more - perhaps a bright yellow. I know the themes can be modified, but I’m not sure which setting needs to be changed.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

You can modify any theme by going to file>options>appearance and believe look at either editor and colors to make changes or textual marks at bottom of list. Not at computer.

I don’t have a dark background so I couldn’t quite do what you asked for, but, as you can see, both colors are user definable.

Thanks, but is that for the theme, or for he editor in general? If I change to a different theme, will that color change apply to the new theme as well?

Probably not.
I believe that the initial color is part of the theme.

But you can change it to your taste, and save that as a new theme for next time. (I would think.)

There is a theme related thread here Default Theme, White Theme

1 Like

Thanks Vincent - found it, and it does what I want, but I have the same question I asked GoalieDad - will this apply only to the theme, or to the editor in general? If I switch to a different theme, will I get the same behavior? I’d prefer it to be specific to the theme, but maybe I’m over-thinking this,…

Search theme related threads, I’d say.
Such as the one suggested above.

Or search “theme” in the manual. Most likely it is mentioned.
(I personally can’t help any further than this.)

@AntoniDol would know.

But… do you plan on changing theme all the time ??
(As far as I can tell, people usually land on one they like and stick to it.)

By definition each theme has a default color for various types of selected text, change and save theme as a modified version. Ex solarized theme_ white editor or whatever you want to save your personal preferences and import into any project you would like to use that theme variance/modification

A Theme can change the colors of the Editor. So this will apply to a Theme.
You can still change the colors in the Appearance Options.

I recently updated a Solarized Dark theme with better selection colors.
Here it is… Solarized Dark theme broken on Windows - #7 by AntoniDol

I’ve create some FAQ-posts in \rScrivenerThemeBuilder
If you’re patient, I’m writing a book about Mastering Scrivener Themes…

1 Like

If you customize Solarized Dark by changing Appearance settings, then change the theme to Dark Mode, and then change back later to Solarized Dark, you will get the default Solarized Dark settings–all your changes will be lost.

What you need to do is the following:

1. Customize the theme, via changes to the settings in File > Options > Appearance.
  2. Save your custom theme, via Window > Themes > Save Theme to file
  3. Import your custom theme back into Scrivener, so it will show up under Window > Themes > Custom Themes.

After doing all that, when you change the theme from your customized Solarized Dark to Dark Mode, and then change back later to your saved & imported customized Solarized Dark, your settings will be intact.

Best,
Jim

1 Like

An easy way to think about it is that when you’re using Scrivener, there is always an active theme. ( Even Default Theme is still a theme. ) The theme determines the colors of the interface, and when you change an Appearance setting, you are customizing the theme.

Whenever you wish to save those theme customizations, then use Window > Themes > Save Theme to file.

Best,
Jim

Thanks, Vincent, I think I got it now. I’m not planning on changing themes, I was just curious about what would happen if I did. Right now, I’m happy with this one.

1 Like

save your personal preferences and import into any project you would like to use that theme variance/modificatio

Thanks -that’s the piece I was missing.

Thanks, Antoni - I’ll take a look at your modified theme.

You’re doing an entire book on themes? This should be interesting. Please keep us posted.

Thanks for the explanation - it all makes sense now.