Multiple Document Note Pages

Not sure if this has been asked, but I was thinking about the Document Notes pane in the inspector. Would it be possible to make it so that multiple pages can be created for this pane? So, rather than having one single Document Notes block that you scroll through to find what you want, could it be implemented that you’d have a button to create a new page if you want to add more material? I only ask because for one of my documents, I have a LOT of notes and I don’t like having to scroll all the way through them to find a single note.

On Windows for a while, there was a sidebar with some handy little widgets, and one of them was a Notepad widget. It allowed you to push a little ‘plus’ button whenever you wanted a new page, and you could then click from one page of notes to the next. I don’t think there was a limit to how many pages you could create, or I just never tried to reach it.

This idea wouldn’t necessarily replace the UI that exists for Document Notes, as I do enjoy being able to scroll sometimes. It would really just be for if you want different types of notes on different pages. For instance, for one scene I might have a “Setting” notes page, a “Background” notes page, a “Continuity” notes page, etc.

Completely understandable if this isn’t at all possible, but if it’s just an extra line or two of code or something, I thought it might be a nice addition. Thanks.

Here is a kind of “outside the box” approach that you might find appealing: the compile system is specifically designed to allow one to interleave notes with book material. The “Include in Compile” checkbox, found in the Inspector pane just a bit above Document Notes, will instruct the compiler to completely disregard the document. In this way you can insert notes right beneath the section they relate to.

To see how this could work, try working in the main book section, and hit Ctrl-2 (or click the Corkboard icon in the toolbar). You can probably take the idea from there—but at this point you’re just using basic navigation to get where you need to go, and you can use the history buttons to get back (but an even better trick is to use the special [b]View/Go To/Enclosing Group[/b] command, which has an easy to use shortcut. The “enclosing group” in this particular case from a child notepad, is your main book section that the notes relate to). Or you could use the split view to open the card in a split and when you’re done just close it off.

Of course you can just fold that bit of the outline away in the Binder, so that it is basically only accessible using the above method when working on that section, to keep your draft simple.

This is just brilliant! Never thought of using the “Include in Compile” checkbox for that, duh!
Thanks for the tip!
r6d2.

One can even (via context menu) assign another icon to the “notes” document to make it visible as such in the binder.

Well, we haven’t implemented that feature yet on Windows, but yes that will be possible.

Instead of special binder icons that are yet to be implemented on windows, you could create a label just for notes, assign it a notes-like color, and then make the binder (and outline view… and cork board) display that color. There’s a section for displaying label colors under the View menu. The relevant ones on Windows are “Corkboard Options->Show Pins”, and the options under “Use Label Color In”.

In that way, the notes will stand out (or fade into the background) when compared to the label colors (or lack thereof) you use for the rest of your folders & documents.

If we had multiple document note pages, I would probably never again open MS OneNote.

Having vertical tabs of document note pages I think is a great idea.

+1

You have a point here Wat :slight_smile: