Multiple-paragraph Footnotes

I’ve been plugging away at a dissertation chapter in Scrivener, and I’ve just compiled to a document for distribution for the first time, so I’m learning a lot about Scrivener’s capabilities and limitations as far as output goes. One difficulty I’ve run across has to do with the way footnotes get exported. My text includes a lot of discursive footnotes, some of which run for multiple paragraphs. I also have footnotes where I need to quote lineated chunks of poetry (block-quote style). Scrivener’s compile feature doesn’t currently seem to handle this. What looks to me like a multi-paragraph footnote is instead interpreted as multiple footnotes, separated by a carriage return. The output I get for what’s intended to be a two-paragraph footnote looks like this (in the body of the text, with the appropriate footnotes obviously showing up below):

This might be expected behavior, but I can’t envision many circumstances in which it would be good behavior: I can only imagine wanting two footnotes separated only by a carriage return in some sort of experimental literature. On the whole, I would think it makes the most sense to interpret two chunks of footnote text separated by nothing but a carriage return as a a single footnote with a carriage return in the middle.

I’d appreciate any thoughts on dealing with this. I think Inspector footnotes would solve my problem, but they obviously haven’t made their way to Windows yet. I also believe I could make this work with MMD footnotes, but I’d rather be able to stick to Scrivener’s styles. For the time being I’m just correcting this issue by hand, which isn’t too hard, but it’s a hassle because it has to be done every time I compile. (The text is still being actively revised and I want to keep the process in Scrivener; I’m compiling to distribute drafts for feedback.)

I’d appreciate any thoughts you all have.

To my understanding, this is a technical problem with the mechanism being used to display footnotes, rather than any kind of intentional decision. Basically the code being used to draw the bubbles around text isn’t capable of containing a carriage return, so it gets turned into two bubbles. This is, strictly speaking, not how it should work, so it is a known issue. The bubble should wrap around the entire text block rather than be applied to each line as it currently is, too, so as to be less noisy.

For now, use a character string like %CR for carriage returns in your footnotes, and after compiling, use Word to search and replace and fix them.

I just ran into this problem today. It doesn’t appear to have been fixed in the latest windows update. Do you anticipate a fix in the not-too-distant future? The workaround is serviceable, but it would be nice to select a block of text as a single footnote, CRs and all.

Also, regarding footnotes, will there be a method to customize the footnote indicators? Since I know my text will only have, at most, one footnote per page, I’d like to use an asterisk instead of numbers.

Thank you!

Potentially; this problem was fixed for the MultiMarkdown export methods. Even though the footnote displays as multiple footnotes in the editor, if they are 100% adjacent the will be glued together on output. So it might be an easy fix to move that code over to RTF et al.

Second question: yes, there will be better control of the number and symbol styles used for footnote output in the future.

I continue to be impressed with this product … but even moreso by people like you who patiently offer help to us. I can’t recommend Scrivener enough to everyone I meet. If I manage to get this novel published, Scrivener will definitely have a “footnote” in the credits. :slight_smile:

Glad to hear it’s working well for you, and thanks for the asterisk. :slight_smile: