Multiple windows-instances working withe the SAME project at the SAME time?

Hello, I’d like to know if it is planned that Scrivener 3 for Windows will be able to open two or more Windows instances simultaneously editing the SAME project. This would be a big help for my way of working!

Simple answer, no it won’t. That way, conflicts and potentially disaster to the project would ensue. Scrivener cannot be used for simultaneous editing by two collaborators and what you are asking for is merely another version of that.

Mark
(Works collaboratively with Scrivener, but is merely a long-term user, not a member of the team.)

Thanks for the quick and clear answer!

Perhaps you can achieve what you want with some of the options Scrivener does have:

1. Dual pane edit display
    2.Quick Reference mode. - I don’t use the dual pane, but I use Quick Reference frequently. It allows you to pull one article out as a separate window and place it onto a 2nd screen, and work viewing both of them. Of course it wouldn’t HAVE to be a 2nd monitor. Essentially, you get two separate windows.
  2. Bookmarks - In addition to the two edit windows you get with Quick Reference, you can have bookmarks displaying extensive notes inside the inspector panel. So even without dual pane editor display, it is easy to have three separate windows.

Sorry, I know this is an old topic, but it came up under “related posts” on a topic I just created, and I think I have a working solution.

I’m a professional software engineer. Every day, we have multiple programmers working on the very same project. Sometimes in the very same file. What makes this possible is the use of something called “source control” (something like Git).

When you finish working and save your document, you “commit” your changes and “push” them up to a server. Prior to working the next day, you “pull” the “latest version” of that document. If anyone else was working on it, you’ll get their latest changes as well, and so you’ll know you’re working on the latest version of the document.

This would work for your situation. Two people on different computers (or you moving from one to the other) could push your project to source control from one machine, then pull the latest changes down onto the other. And, it will still work even if you forget to do that, you just won’t be continuing with the latest changes.

Source control solves a host of evils.

A number of people have proposed the use of Git with Scrivener projects. To my knowledge, none of the attempts has actually succeeded. The issues are two-fold. First, the individual component documents are not independent: adding or changing a document in a Scrivener project can cause automatic changes to a number of files that are not under direct user control. And second, because Scrivener uses rich text, rather than plain text, changes are often somewhat obscure from a human perspective and therefore difficult to revert if needed.

1 Like

Yeah, that does make a lot of sense. We do store some binary files in Git, from time to time (project assets, mostly), but source code is typically just plain text.