Naming Roses

At least one template (Novel, /with Parts) has a Section Type called Section.

That led to great perplexity while trying to work out what was going to appear in a layout given references to “Section Title”.

I eventually worked out that in most such places “Section Title” etc. refers to the title etc. of the relevant element in the list Section Types and not the Section Type called Section (c.f. Brian that is called Brian)

A simple renaming in these places to “[Section Type] Title”, “[Section Type] Text” would eliminate any possible confusion.

UPDATE where [Section Type] is literal text, not a placeholder for the Section Type name.

I have to re-learn everything through trial and error each time I assign Section Layouts. Definitely, some experimentation is required.

The word “Section” is used too many ways in Scrivener. It’s hard enough herding where Part and Title land on a page when compiling.

The compiler in Scrivener is a wall that separates raw typing from desired output. Part of the ecosystem is that, technically, we should be using something else to do our layouts in. Even still, I try to do as much as possible in Scrivener. I love Scrivener. I use it for producing PDFs. Doing ePub would require me to question life again as I struggle to figure out how compiling works with that format. But I know at some point, I will have to do ePub. And I would like to stay in Scrivener doing that rather than using some other app that I’d have to learn to use.

Anything that does this will be non-trivial, of that I am sure.

I typeset the last book I created in LaTeX, and wrote my own “compiler” in MS Word/VBA to assemble the Word and LaTeX to feed MiKTeX to feed… other things to get PDF out. Gives me the willies just thinking about it (CTAN libraries, code writing code, etc. etc. etc., not so much skating on thin ice as throwing oneself at the ground and trying to miss, mostly)

The pain of Agent formatting whims is also not unknown to me, so I am really grateful to have everything in one place where L&L own the whole stack, I just wish it were a wee bit more straightforward.

I wonder if anyone’s produced a diagram for the various parts, labels, pieces, etc. I Shall Google That Myself (ISGTM) :wink:

I have some very minimal Python code I use for making slight adjustments to PDFs from Scrivener. Things like pagelabels, bookmarks, and full-page art with text over it.

And I have Python code that does real “all (whole) word” searches and identifies target docs by name… perhaps we should find somewhere to list shareable the Python (and other resources) . I’d be happy to share my jupyter notebook, hacky though it is.

I have several of those in chapter openings in Mastering Scrivener. Always thought it would be a good idea to have them in a central, public location.

Currently though, they’re SVG-files. This page at least shows a few in the caroussel:

3 Likes

Great analogy!! - trying to miss…:rofl: You made me blow coffee out my nose.

(That bit of wit needed acknowledgment imho, but I’m sorry I can’t help the op though.)

I think you answered your own question. The Compile command attempts to solve a problem that is inherently very difficult.

1 Like

I think Douglas Adams deserves a bit of credit too for that gag, but I’ll take credit for deft deployment :slight_smile:

1 Like