NiaD X

On Saturday 10th October 2020 we’ll be running NiaD X – our TENTH event to pool the collective talents of authors from around the world to write a novel in a day!

What is it?
If you’re not familiar with the event, the best way to get up to speed is to read through the FAQs which cover everything you can expect on the day, from what info is in a briefing pack through to whether you can use swear words or not.

Essentially, though:

1. At midnight (UK time) on the day of the event you’ll be emailed a brief of what you need to include in your chapter.
  2. You go away and write your section without any knowledge of the wider story or where your chapter fits in the book.
  3. You return your chapter by 8pm (UK time) at which point it’s turned into ePub, mobi and PDF books using the magic of Scrivener, ready for publication on or around midnight.

When is it?
Starts: countdown or time
Submission deadline: countdown or time
Ends: countdown or time

How do you sign up?
Firstly, we’ve got a new email address, so please add rog @ novelinaday.com to your email contacts to make sure your briefing packs don’t end up in your junk mail folders!

If you’ve taken part in one of our previous events, then all you need to do in order to sign up is reply to this thread and we’ll add you to the list!

If this will be your first NiaD, then there is some information we’ll need from you before you can take part. In which case:

1. Read the FAQs to make sure you know what you’re letting yourself in for!
  2. Sign up to create an LL forum account (if you don’t already have one)
  3. Post in this thread to let us know you’re keen to join
  4. Send an email / fill in the online form with the following information:
  • Your forum account name
  • The pen name you’d like to be credited with in the work
  • The email address you want your briefing pack sent to
  • A writing sample (either an URL to a sample online or an emailed attachment / text)
  • Whether you seek, avoid or have no preference for ‘grisly scenes’ (should there be any)

You can send this info either directly via email to contact @ novelinaday.com or via our online contact form. Please use those methods and don’t submit them in this public thread!

Again, please add our new email address rog @ novelinaday.com to your contacts to make sure we can contact you if we have any questions, and of course to make sure you get your chapter brief on the day of the event.

Finally…
We’ll add your name to the list in the next post once you’ve been confirmed as taking part. If you’ve got any questions, please ask them here and either myself or one of the regulars will be able to help!

We’ll be keeping the registration open until a few days before the event to produce as many versions of the book as the number of participants allows, so invite your writing friends to sign up too!

And don’t forget to add the new email address rog @ novelinaday.com to your contacts!

This post will be updated as people register their interest.

The following people have registered:

• Calkate
  • ConradG
  • Deruji
  • homeport ✸
  • katlovergilpin
  • Jaysen
  • pete340 ✸
  • pigfender
  • pinetree
  • sameagleusa

Makes 10!

Count me in!

YES!

Can you believe how many of these we’ve done?! :smiley:

You seem to limit the audience to “people”. Which I can not be certain includes… me. Should you choose to allow the potential non-person to enter I would enjoy being added to the list.

Are we finally getting piratical dolphins on a rum bender chasing welders with unmanicured posteriors through the nether regions of space? Because I’ve been waiting 10 and 1/2 NiaDs to write that story.

It amazes me. Especially the work you’ve done, year after year, to make it happen. Thank you!

All beings are equal in the eyes of NiaD. I’d let a Basset Hound in if they could pass the writing sample test.

There’s as good a chance this year as any other!

You’re the guy that’s written a chapter each year! All I do is staple ‘em together!!!

Something to look forward to! Between the pandemic, the riots, and the wildfires keeping us inside, this will be a much appreciated diversion. Count me in. :smiley:
Thank you!

Count me in!!

Sign me up! So excited! :laughing:

I’m in! :smiley:

NIAD X on 10/10/2020 8)

Yay!

I’m lucky to have been kept busy and gainfully employed during the lockdowns (I’m a keyworker) and writing has been my favourite distraction from all the real life going on, followed as closely as you can get without a dead heat by reading, of course! Both have been very good for my wellbeing over the past 6-7 months.

Welcome back!

Me too!

Excellent!

I would love to take part. Thank you!

In again as well

Yes please count me in thank you :smiley:

Good to have you all back again!

Homeport - glad to see both you and pete340 are able to maintain the 100% record!!!

On the interstellar pirate dolphin front… have you settled on a the region of space time? If we want to make it earth, the Barbary era of piracy is pretty dang cool. Dolphins could be the “unseen forces” that drive the piracy ecosystem providing all kinds of “evil overlord” functions. The specifics of how they fence the pirated goods to the off world civilizations could almost be an entire novel on its own!

Count me in, Rog!