Non-Fiction Plumbing

Non-fiction legal writing is plumbing: quote this, explain what it means; quote that and explain what that means.

The quotations from different sources. When dumped into Scrivener’s editor, these pastes carry with them lots of baggage (paste and match style does not kill all the gremlins).

In the editor, “No Style” means “as is” which thus means “gremlins and all.” Paragraphs change font faces and size, paragraph returns end lines but not always, 1.0 spacing yields 3.0 during Compile, etc.

Is there a way to unify font face and size and harmonizing line endings and spaces?

When compiling, in Section Layouts, have you checked “on” the “Override text and notes formatting” and then defined there what you want? If not, what have you done in the compile settings to attempt to get what you want, but is not working for you?

Subsequent edit: also, if there is left over crud with what you pasted in, if you turn on the “invisibles” to show pilcrows, tabs, etc., might help in identifying stuff you want to clear out or change.

Yep. Did all that. Some chapters are not affected and still Compile as shown in the editor.

No style is actually the defined style used for body text. I don’t know why it is called by that name, but you actually define it in preferences>editing>formatting. So if you define no style and apply it to body text then it become the way you want it to be.

Is there a way to globally change every instance of one font to another, one font size to another in the editor?

Yes, before you write. But now I have to go back and make the text uniform.

I don’t know what you mean?

If I paste some text into scrivener it may be is some different font or color. But when I apply no style to it it changes to what I defined no style to be. So all gremlins gone.

Select all the text you want to change and apply no style.

That’s fine if you’re starting a project. But let’s say you’re 150 pages in and have drawn text from different sources. Some of it is 11 pt Bembo, other 13 pt Palatino, other 18.5 Helvetica.

I tried your suggestion and re-defined “No Style,” by adding that style in the editor. It really doesn’t work because apparently Scrivener has built in Palatino at 13 its and it keeps reverting to that.

What a mess.

“No style” is literally no style (seriously). What you can do to sort this out, quoting from the manual:

[ Documents → ] Convert → Text to Default Formatting… Resets the text of the selected files and folders (or the text in the active editor session, including multiple documents in Scrivenings) to the default formatting used for new files. This default is established either globally in the Editing: Formatting preference pane […], or on a per-project basis in project settings […]”

The problem is that default formatting is Palatino at 13 points. That’s not what I want.

That’s why you need to change it in Scrivener → Preferences… → Editing → Formatting (preference pane). Or, if it’s just the default for a specific project: Project → Project Settings… → Formatting.

Tried: [ Documents → ] Convert → Text to Default Formatting

Threw everything back to Palatino.

That doesn’t fix a document that’s complete, but for the Compile.

You need to set the desired format first (in Preferences…), then convert. Otherwise Scrivener converts to the factory default.

During this little exercise, the entire text of a chapter disappeared in Compile. Fortunately it’s still in the Editor, but I now have another problem to fix.How this happened, I am absolutely clueless.

Why on earth are we compiling now…

To see if your suggestions fix the un-uniform font problem.

That’s a bit excessive. The change (if everything works) should be visible in the editor immediately. The important point is: This default you want to convert to is not a style, it’s an Editor setting (either in general Preferences… or Project Preferences). So the first step now is to change that successfully.

Scrivener stubbornly resists the change.

I changed the settings in Preferences, as per your instructions.
Converted the Document.
Scrivener reverted to Palatino.
At this stage I’d like to delete Palatino, but it’s probably hard wired.

Could you please check if your project settings don’t overwrite the general formatting?

The “use different default…” should be unchecked. Not like in my example.