Numbering System for Binder

Hi,

I suspect this is a request for enhancement, but I thought I’d check I hadn’t missed a trick first.

I have one folder with my entire novel inside, each chapter being a document in that folder. I only want the chapter title to be pulled into the final compile, but during the drafting stage I’d like to see chapter numbers against the titles.

At the moment I have manually entered them i.e. my first document is titled “Chapter 1: My First Chapter”. But the issue with that is that if I move chapters around or add new ones, I have to manually go back through and change all of my chapter names.

Is there any way to have document numbers in the binder - even if it means using placeholder tags like: “Chapter <$t>: My First Chapter” so that they change automatically with a move/Commit Order on the corkboard.

I found one post that suggested it isn’t possible because any numbering system would have to take into account hierarchies and everyone would therefore want a different implementation. But! Would it be possible using a placeholder instead of some automatic numbering system?

Am I making sense? Is it a request for enhancement? Or something that just can’t be done?

Thanks!!

Gilly

The quickest way to change chapter titles is:
Type a new chapter title in the document.
Select that phrase, then Control.
Choose “Set Selected Text as Title”

You also might want to hold off on numbers until you have a final chapter order.

With a simple list of items like this, in order, and all appearing in the book, you can just turn on the index card numbering feature.


[size=80]Card numbering is printed to the left of the title.[/size]

Numbering can also be enacted on a sectional basis for more complex arrangements. For example if you have three parts in your book, you could select Part One and Part Two corkboards, and have the numbering restart for each stacked corkboard in the list. Here is an example of how that looks, using a vertical stacking arrangement:


[size=80]Vertically stacked sections, with sectional numbering applied. Part One is on the left; Part Two the lighter right.[/size]

But in essence the arguments you have read are sound. Whenever you start applying compile-time logic into the Binder you basically turn Scrivener into a hog. If you want to see what working in Scrivener would be like with compile logic running in the background, open up the [b]Project/Project Statistics...[/b] panel in a reasonably fleshed out project (80k words or more) and wait. And wait. And wait. That’s how long it takes to figure out all of the particulars of a compilation for a work of that length. That means adding an item to the Binder would require you to sit around like that after every move. There are probably some optimisations that could be done to that, but the more you cache and to localised resets, the greater the risk for things getting out of sync with reality and getting super messy.

Hi AmberV,

I had a play with the corkboard split and the multiple selections - really nice features - but as I have my index cards in a freeform mode that helps me see where the subplots fall in the big picture, it doesn’t really suit me.

I have the index card numbering feature turned on. That’s great. But what I really want is for the numbers on the index cards to appear against the titles in the binder. Nothing more complicated than that.

But I understand what you’re saying about why it’s difficult. It’s no biggie … at compile time I can simply go through my chapters and remove the 'Chapter 1:" from the titles. Then it will compile with the title name as I want it to.

Thanks anyway!

Gilly