Oh how I've missed NIAD

Since, as a family, we lived in Morocco for 7 years in the 1960s (I was 14–21 years old), I am somewhat envious. But I fear that much will have changed in Morocco, both politically and socially, and we were there before tourism started, so from that too. So I am hesitant to go back.

But enjoy your trip.

:smiley:

Mark

2 Likes

Thank you that must have been an interesting time

1 Like

It was. Everything was very open and free. My brother and I with friends went all over the country, on occasions having to sleep on a pile of gravel by the roadside, or driving up a tortuous, unmade road up a peak to a viewpoint marked on our map, only to discover it had been turned into an army observation post… as by then it was sunset, it was too dangerous to drive back down, so the soldiers let us sleep on the floor in a shed they were building, propping the door in place so no animals gould get in.

Or the time when on a one-day’s hike up the Atlas mountains to see some ancient rock engravings, we were collared by a mix of army and gendarmerie; the gendarmes wanted to arrest us as we didn’t have our passports with us, but the army said that as visitors to the country we should be allowed to go on our way back down. So, before sitting down to argue it out, they invited us to share their lunch, a whole sheep roasted over a camp fire with sweet couscous and mint tea to follow. The army won the debate and they lent us four mules to take us half way back to where we had left the car.

Nothing like that would be possible now.

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

What an amazing experience you had living in Morocco. You are right I am guessing it’s very different now but I believe it is still a friendly and welcoming community and we are really looking forward to experiencing that on our trip. We are there for month and hope to go quite a ways down to the desert and hopefully up into the Atlas Mountains if passable. We sleep in the landrover and will make use of the many camp sites in Morocco

1 Like

@xiamenese - wonderful stories, thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

Now I’m really jealous. We bought a 12-seater Land Rover when my wife and I were living in Bangkok in the early 70s. We converted it into a motor home ourselves and drove back to the UK in it in 1974. Wonderful times, and every time I see a Land Rover, I wish we still had one; we really loved it. Sadly, we can no longer justify owning one.

Mark

1 Like

We used to have a twelve seater but with children never thought about changing to a camper. Ours was one of last landrover to be made so it’s quite precious to us and it’s not always practical now with all the environmental areas but we love it. Have to say what an amazing adventure that must have been how long was that journey?

1 Like

It’s been nice reading through. Happy Non-NiaD to all. :smiley: And all the hugs and blessings.

1 Like

I miss NiaD too. Bon voyage @homeport

NaNoWriMo is keeping me busy this month…

1 Like

Good luck with NIAD I am starting today too, because of severe weather our ferry crossing to Spain on Friday was cancelled we have managed to rebook for Sunday :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Have a good trip.

Mark

1 Like

@homeport How was Morocco?