I did read all of both posts. That is not the behavior that I am seeing. On my system, which also uses 10.14.3, all projects, including those stored in Dropbox, are correctly indexed by Spotlight.
What else is running on your system? Scrivener doesn’t have the ability to change the Spotlight Metadata. Moreover, Scrivener can’t tell whether a project is stored in your Dropbox folder or not: it’s just another hard drive location as far as Scrivener is concerned.
Do you see strange behavior with other files stored in Dropbox?
Do you have the iCloud Documents and Desktop feature enabled? Mac OS itself is the only thing I can think of that might be making the change.
I no longer think the problem has anything to do with Dropbox.
I do not have iCloud Documents and Desktop feature enabled.
I do use Default Folder X and it creates an Alias in ~/Library/Recent Files/. I’ve turned this feature off… I’ve quit Default Folder X.
I just created a new blank project using the Blank template and saved it to my Documents folder. It was Saved as an Alias rather than a Project.
Using HoudahSpot to locate Aliases created within the last 600 days: Found 265 Aliases. 233 are legitimate Aliases. 21 have a .scriv extension of which 19 are really projects with a Content Type of com.apple.alias-file rather than com.literatureandlatte.scrivener3.scr.
“Scrivener doesn’t have the ability to change the Spotlight Metadata”
but when you list the spotlight plugins, I see
which seems to suggest that Scrivener has a custom metadata importer, which might be outputting incorrect metadata when the file is indexed.
I would rebuild the LaunchServices database, which may have become corrupted. If that doesn’t work, rebuilding the Spotlight index would be my next move (worthwhile to set that to run over night). Maintenance is a good tool for both of these tasks.