Only one theme isn't great for …

Only having one Discourse theme plays havoc with my Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome (aka Meares-Irlen Syndrome). On other Discourse platforms I use the “Light” theme but on those it give me black text on a white background. Whereas here in the Scrivener forums I get a brown text on white Discourse menus. As I say plays havoc with my Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome especially as at the back of my mind is the knowledge that other DIscourses are different and friendlier. (The Dark theme really does my head in.)

Could you post a screenshot, or more precisely indicate the interface elements I should be looking for? When I try the light mode, I am seeing black text for the body everywhere, and the menu text is black on white as well.

That aside, always keep in mind that you, not the website, have ultimate control over what web pages look like. It’s too bad this is not a commonly known thing, as so many people unnecessarily suffer with the choices made by others.

Install Stylus into your browser, and make our site hot pink if you really want to. Note that for a site like Discourse, you often do not have to go in and root around with overriding specific elements. Almost all of the colours are established as central variables. For example, changing the --header_background CSS variable will change the header bar’s background colour, and --primary sets the base text colour (which again, should be black).

1 Like

There several in your own response. For example

But there are others.

But Discourse has a themes feature already so why would I need to install YAAO (yet another add-on) to duplicate functionality available in the software? But even if I do that does not solve the fundamental issue for ALL those with Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome.

You could also try a CSS injector to avoid this on other websites as well.

1 Like

Similar problem in that is it might work for me but no other Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome people.

But there are others.

Okay, I wouldn’t have considered the text body of the discussion area to be a “menu”, so that’s where I was confused. But yes, you’ve answered your own question I think, there are lots of variables, almost everything is driven by them. If you inspect hyperlinks or code spans you’ll find them. It makes adjusting things quite simple.

Similar problem in that is it might work for me but no other Scotopic Sensitivity Syndrome people.

Have you tried the extension yet? One of the main features of it is the ability to browse and share modifications with others. I provided one for our forum for years that changed the font from the very lightweight one that was used before, to Helvetica. For example, here is one for people that like fixed width fonts.

1 Like

Thought I’d already said No. I have enough add-ons in my main browser as it is — and get occasional “an add-on is slowing the browser down” messages — but even if I was to use it in my desktop browser it would not help for my mobile or tablet, which don’t allow add-ons (other than the vital one at the system level for squelching ads aka spam).