Option to open externallu bookmarked pictures

Hi there,
Scrivener lover here!
A small option that would be so great for me would be the possibility, from the Bookmark section of a file, to directly open a picture in a external editor by simply right-clicking on it (right now, I can only open it in the current editor or the other).

It might sounds anecdotal for some, but to me, it would make a huge difference, as I work with a lot of pictures
(seeing the reduced picture in the Inspector is not the best, and even opening it in a editor does not make it easy to manipulate with Scrivener, you can’t easily zoom in or out with the mouse wheel for example ; right now I’m using a very circumvented way of opening these pictures externally when it could be very straightforward ^^).

Thank you very much for all your work !

While you’re waiting for a solution from L&L, have you tried PureRef? It’s a free app for collecting reference images on a free-floating palette. It was designed for painters and illustrators, to make it easier to work from reference images.

PureRef lets you save collections of images, and those collections can be embedded in Scrivener and opened using Open In External Editor.

@Xel: A small option that would be so great for me would be the possibility, from the Bookmark section of a file, to directly open a picture in a external editor by simply right-clicking on it (right now, I can only open it in the current editor or the other).

To make sure we’re on the same page, here is what I did to test your report:

1. In a blank test project, for the untitled starter document, opened the Inspector.

2. Clicked on the Bookmarks tab (second to left).

3. Clicked the ∙∙∙ button in the inspector’s header bar area, and used the “Add External File Bookmark…” command, selecting a PNG file from the system.

4. The bookmark to the PNG file comes in selected, and I can see a tiny thumbnail of it in the pane below. I can double-click in the thumbnail and set it to 1:1 scale, then freely pan around, but as you say it’s a bit cramped and not quite as nice having to do that every time.

5. So I right-click and I get six functions that relate to using this bookmark (the first three of the nine total functions in this menu are for adding new bookmarks). Two of those six commands are:

• Open in default editor
    • Open file location

Both of which would give you file system or external software access to the original file.

6. Better yet though, I can also just double-click on the icon of the bookmark, whose default action is to load the bookmarked file in the default application for doing so.

Let me know if you are using a different checklist in a fundamental way, or where you are working from that only provides you with two of the intended nine commands in the contextual menu.

(Full documentation for the Bookmark inspector tab is found in §13.4, Bookmarks Tab of the user manual PDF.)

Hi,
Thank you very much for your answer, I will have a look at PureRef for sure (never heard about it :blush: )

Thank you so much for taking the time to provide such a detailed answer!

The procedure you described works absolutely the same for me,

I should have been more clear that I do not use external file bookmarks, but instead internal bookmarks of pictures that have been previously imported in Scrivener (so there are files in the Research Folder).

I’ll be honest, I totally forgot this alternative of linking them directly to the source (hence why I didn’t give this major info…sorry), I’m so used to have these pictures in Scrivener as I like to have everything related to the Project in Scrivener itself.
But as these pictures do not have the option to be opened externally from the Bookmark section (probably because as this step, there are recognized as Scrivener files, and not a png or jpeg), maybe the best approach is indeed to remove them from the Project and only access it from their source, I’ll think about it.

Thank you very much for your help!
Have a great day!

Thanks for the clarification, and I had my own blind spot as well, as by design there should be little difference between the two—so I didn’t think to test both. The only real difference should be that in one case there is a command to reveal the original in File Explorer, while the other reveals the original in the Binder. I don’t know why they left the command to open in the default editor out, but I’ll make sure it’s on the list of things to address.

Oh, that’s awesome, thank you very much!
I’ll wait a bit then :blush: