Out of nowhere, the font changes. Why?

I was typing along in Optima, which I’ve been using since starting the document, and reached the end of a quote, so I hit enter to get down to the next line. When I started typing, the font was changed to Lucinda! What in the world?! I deleted back to the end of the previous line and tried it again–again, it started in Lucinda. I went into the fonts menu and changed the font back to Optima on that line, and it was fine for a few more paragraphs–and then it did it again, back to Lucinda. I’m not arrowing down to the next line where, for some reason, the font might be different. I hit enter for a “carriage return” every time. Why on earth is the font changing on its own like that?

What is the character which you typed after you typed the return each time it changed? Could it be something that is not available in Optima, so the text engine switches to the default Lucida? When it does that, you could try going to the menu and at the bottom, choose because that should turn it all into Optima — or whatever you’ve set as default in the preferences — and if it doesn’t, it’s presumably a font issue.

HTH
Mark

This is why WordPerfect has “reveal codes”. :slight_smile:

Actually this happens to me every time.

I work in Full Screen mode, with Optima. Every once in a while, after I hit return for a new paragraph, it will flick to Lucida. No idea how or why, but it does, and I need to manually change it back to Optima.

No special characters or anything difficult, just a return. Doesn’t always happen.

Are you using bullet points? This is a known annoyance of the OS X text engine’s bullet-point system.

I’m having the same issue. I’ve been able to reproduce the bug with the shift-return sequence suggested the Bugs forum topic on this subject, but it also occurs randomly without the shift-return. Resetting it manually via Documents–>Convert–>Formatting to Default Style works, but it’s pesky.

This happens to me as well…out of nowhere it jumps to boldface type. I try to change the font back to regular but the program does not register the bold and so won’t change back. Hate to imagine what it will look like when I print…

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. The compiler process can be set to completely override the entire project with a standard font. This is to allow you to write in whatever face and size you prefer, and then provide a standard copy to whatever requirements and restraints you have to work with. Additionally, you can use format convert feature to do this to documents you are working on, as well. You can either standardise them to print specs or default editor specs.

So when and if the font changes suddenly, just carry on writing. That shouldn’t be something a writer has to worry about.

On the matter of boldface, is it actually bold? When you place your cursor in the text and press Cmd-T (with “All Fonts” selected in the left-most column), is the selection in the Typeface right-most column set to Bold or Black or something along those lines? The reason I ask is that some fonts merely look bold, because they were designed to be title and headlines, but technically speaking they are “Regular” internally. In cases like that, you’d see exactly what you are describing. Cmd-B would do nothing because it isn’t really bold, and probably doesn’t have a boldface variant to switch to.