Outliner row spacing (SPLIT FROM: Importing an outline)

Hi Keith - great new feature - really looking forward to the next update.

Annnnnd…wait for it…a request. Any chance that you might consider providing a way of reducing the vertical space allotted to each entry in the Outliner view? I request this because Scrivener is, for me, extremely close to satisfying two ‘off-label’ uses - day-to-day notebook/journal, and to-do list manager. For these uses, often the title IS the entry (i.e. for quotes, reminders, to-do items, etc.) and if I could view more of them on the screen at once, I would be an even happier scrivening camper.

Full disclosure: 1. I currently use Mori for the above-mentioned purpose(s). 2. I would offer Mori’s ‘Entries’ view as an example of a design/appearance that I find pleasing and useful in this regard. 3. After being a faithful Mori user for some time, I would prefer now to consolidate - to use Scrivener alone for not only my writing, but also for my daily note-taking and to-do list management.

Either way, thanks for all your effort and and for the great results on Scrivener.

Edmo.

Hi Keith,

From Tue Oct 21, 2008 5:20 pm

Sorry to badger you, but am curious if you have any thoughts on this.

Thanks. Edmo.

Hi Edmo,
This is a separate subject and nothing to do with importing an outline into Scrivener - please post in a separate topic rather than hijacking an unrelated thread. Anyway, following your mention of this and someone else’s recently, too, I did look into this and I have reduced the spacing a little for the next update.
Best,
Keith
P.S. I’m going to split this topic accordingly.

Thanks for the reply and the upcoming modification, Keith.

And sorry about the ‘hijack’; I’ll continue to try to hone my forum-posting skills.

Thanks again. Edmo.

No problem. Here’s a screenshot of the new spacing. You should be able to see that there is much less of a gap between the rows, and that it is now more like the standard spacing in other apps. (Note: those background colours are optional so just ignore those.)

Best,
Keith

EDIT: P.S Also ignore the random drivel in the synopses; I hadn’t noticed that before I posted. When I’m testing out features I fill in synopses and text with all sorts of stream-of-consciousness rubbish. Ahem.

Oh I don’t know, Keith - that seems like some pretty high-quality drivel to me. I especially like the last few sentences in the 1.03 synopsis!

In all serious, the new format looks great, and will be really helpful for at least this person’s workflow.

Sincerely,
Edmo.

[quote=“KB”]
No problem. Here’s a screenshot of the new spacing. You should be able to see that there is much less of a gap between the rows, and that it is now more like the standard spacing in other apps. (Note: those background colours are optional so just ignore those.)

Best,
Keith

Hi. I just ran into the same problem. My spacing looks different from the example shown. And I’d like it to look more like regular single spacing than 1.5. What am I missing?

(I mean 1.5 spacing not Scrivener 1.5)

I don’t think you’re missing anything - this is something changed in 2.0. The screenshot I posted was most likely from the very early stages of 2.0.
Best,
Keith