paragraph marks

I cannot delete paragraph marks that arrive uninvited when I am reordering files and folders. What to do?

It might be best to post a screenshot of the before and after condition, so we can better see what you are referring to. There would ordinarily be no possibility for a concept of paragraphs to be mixed up with files and folders, just as we would find no concept of files and folders inside of the text editor where we write.

did you receive screen shot? I got tangled up in all the windows before me!

Tom Wilson

I see no response to my second note asking if you had received the snapshot you requested.

In rereading your response, I wondered what you meant.
I am not talking about paragraphs and files and folders. I am talking about P with two lines mark that marks the presence of a paragraph break.
What happens is those marks appear automatically when I open a file. They are intrusive and I try to erase them with no results. I do have the key for indicating paragraphs on and it appears appropriately at the end of paragraphs. It is the big ones that are a bother with no purpose as far as I can tell.
Tom Wilson

There is probably a time zone difference which naturally offsets when I can respond.

Yes, understood, it is the Pilcrow character ¶, for the sake of trivia.

Hmm, I’m still not sure what it could be that you are describing. The little blue (by default) ¶ symbols at the end of each paragraph are entirely normal if you have View ▸ Text Editing ▸ Show Invisibles toggled on, and it sounds like that is what you want. What I’m unsure of is what the “big ones” are.

Even if you have a line with a very huge font (like a 48pt heading), the invisible pilcrow that Scrivener shows on the end of it will be scaled to a normal font size.

A screenshot might still help with that. The other ones you mentioned posting did not appear anywhere, you can attach files to your post, which will be the easiest way if you don’t have a place on the WWW to store your image. Or if you the image contains personal information, you can click on the “Contact” speech balloon below my name on the left, and send me a private message with the image attached.

I hope this one makes it. The para marks appear throughout my scriv document.

Thanks

Tom Wilson

Okay, I understand what you’re referring to now. It’s expected to see some extras in Scrivenings mode, at least under default settings. Those dashed lines you see must exist within the context of the text editor. That you cannot delete them does not imply they do not exist as part of the text, rather that they are protected text that indicate the separation between one binder item (in the left sidebar) and the next.

On top of that you need at least one empty editable line in each section. Without that, you wouldn’t be able to put your cursor anywhere in here and type. You can’t type on the dotted lines, you need a empty line between the dotted lines to start writing. So all together you’ll have some ¶ symbols straddling the dotted line, and then an indented one between—that’s the empty line, and presumably you use first-line indented text for writing, so the symbol is offset by the indent amount, giving the whole thing a staggered look. It should be much less of a visually confusing problem once you have a quantity of content in these sections.

Alternatively, if you would like for Scrivenings mode to be more literal, only showing text content and none of the adornments (that require paragraph breaks), then go into the Appearance: Scrivenings preference pane and set your separator type to “Corners”. It’s a much more low-key divider, not only in that it inserts no adornment between text, but no space at all, meaning the result will be spatially much closer to the final form (assuming your compile settings just glue one file on to the next without any titles or page breaks inserted).

With that setting you still need an empty line in each entry to start typing on, but with four files in a Scrivenings session, you would only see three paragraph breaks, as opposed to the six required to draw the empty lines and the adornments.

Thank you. That is clear and I think I got it. The subtext is “get writing and stop bitching.”

Tom