parskip question in memoir-natbib.xslt

Hi there,

Sorry with all the newbie questions. I’m trying to customise memoir-natbib to my needs. I want to have paragraphs separated by a space with no indent, so I tried uncommenting the \usepackage[parfill]{parskip} line. However, when I try to compile the resulting latex I get an error saying there has been an option clash for package parskip.

Anyone know what might be causing this?

Thanks.

Lusule

I’ve been able to find the solution to this problem;

The memoir package contains its own version of /parskip which over rules an separate package calls. This means that if you want to set your paragraphs to have a space and no indent you need to instead modify your latex code to add:

\setlength{\parskip}{\baselineskip} \setlength{\parindent}{0em}

Alternatively if you would prefer to use the parskip package (which some seem to think is neater and more effective) you can add a new line immediately after the memoir package is called right at the beginning:

\DisemulatePackage{parskip}

Then the normal usepackage command will work. The caps are important!

Thanks for the follow-up; sorry I didn’t get to it before you figured it out. You can make this change permanent, if it is your desire, by editing the memoir.xslt file itself. You’ll find sections of that file include large chunks of LaTeX code, so if you search for parskip you should be able to find where MMD is inserting these codes and change them to your preference. This will of course be a global change. If you only want to impact one document, a “wrapper” XSLT that includes memoir.xslt and then overrides the specific template which provides this portion of the preamble would be the best solution. See article.xslt for a good example of how to do that.

You would then specify this wrapper in Scrivener’s meta-data section. Add an entry for “LaTeX XSLT” (capitalisation is not important), and type in “memoir-parskip.xslt” (or whatever you call the wrapper file).

I think the “approved” way to achieve the results you want is to use the \nonzeroparskip macro, though it looks like the Memoir author Peter Wilson doesn’t really approve at all.

From page 47 of the Memoir Manual:

Good tip; I hadn’t noticed that before. The Memoir manual is massive. Parskip vs. Indent is somewhat religious in my opinion, and I think some styles of writing work better one way or the other.

Thanks for the responses. I’ll look at the non-zero and abnormal options.

For me the debate on which is best is nullified by the fact that my supervisor requires my dissertation to be parskipped, in helvetica with narrow margins using Harvard whether I like it or not - to be honest for personal preference I’d just leave the default as it is!

Helvetica?! :slight_smile:

Well, sans serif of some description or another.