Per-project preferences

I realise this was originally changed due to user request, but it was a long time ago and I’d only just started using Scriv, so I wasn’t really au fait with the effect it would have…

Prefs being saved globally, instead of per-document, has turned out to be a right pain in the backside for me, especially the typography prefs - some of my projects (mainly scripting) require typographer’s quotes, ellipsis substitution, etc. to be off… but others (mainly prose) require them to be on. Which inevitably means that I get several pages into work before I remember that I was doing something else the day before, and now I have to go back and change all my apostrophes, quote marks, em-dashes and ellipses. If I can remember where I put them, of course.

Another problem I encountered the other day was with my ‘paper’ colours. I opened a blank project to try a new colour out, on a whim. Decided I didn’t like it, closed the project. Opened an existing project… and the paper colour, of course, was the new not-nice colour. So then I had to try and guess what the old colour was on the colour wheel - not the easiest of tasks…

I know there’s zero chance of this changing back, but can someone explain to me exactly why the change was made? I’m not trying to start an argument, I genuinely can’t remember the reasoning for it.

(And yes, I know I can get round it with the options to change typographer’s quotes and stuff in Compile Draft, but that’s still a royal pain, and only works when compiling. Exporting single documents isn’t affected by those options :frowning: )

PS: Happy birthday, Keith. Sorry to be a moaner :wink:

Hi Antony,

Actually this was never changed - it has always been this way. (Maybe you are thinking of view preferences, which went the other way - they are now saved in the project rather than globally.)

This is the standard way of doing things - you won’t find what you’re asking for in many apps. Having too many project preferences can bog things down horribly, and for most users means setting things up time and time again (or have duplicated preferences in the project and main preferences, which can be confusing).

For ellipsis substitution, you can always leave it off anyway - most apps don’t have that. For em-dashes, you can leave that off, too - just use Opt-shift-hyphen instead. And remember that there are “Educate quotes” and “Straighten quotes” options in the Text menu for fixing up a whole document.

If you want to make sure you don’t lose any favoured preferences (hmm, tautology alert), just save the preferences using the pop-up button at the bottom of the Preferences panel.

All the best,
Keith

Ah, possibly. As I said, it was a long time ago :wink:

No, I realise that. I wouldn’t have even mentioned it but for the fact that I could have sworn they used to be on a per-project basis. But it seems I was wrong. I’ve told you before that I have a terrible memory :wink:

True, but it’s supremely useful in Scriv. I know all the shortcuts for just typing ellipses, em-dashes, etc - I even know the shortcuts for typographer’s quotes! - but one of the things I love about Scriv is that I don’t have to think about all that.

Ah, now that I didn’t know. That will be very useful :slight_smile:

Yeah, I should do this more often. I tend to build templates and then use them over and over again, so it’s not something I’ve really done. But you’re right, I should get into that habit.

I’m in the process of revising the preferences, and I’m putting in a “Disable smart quote, ellipsis and em-dash substitution in scriptwriting mode” preference. I would think that this would be more useful than having to switch them on and off manually whenever you are writing a script. Antony, if you’re reading, would this solve your problem?
Best,
Keith

If I had that problem, first thing I’d try would be simply to create two different user accounts. I’d work on projects of one type in the first and projects of the other in the second. And use Fast User Switching.

rooSwitch is the best answer I know of

http://roobasoft.com/rooSwitch/

Brilliant. Yes, this would totally solve my problem :slight_smile:

Yeah, but that’s overkill. I mean, I have absolutely no other reason to have more than one user account. Creating one for the single purpose of saving me having to toggle a single preference would be the proverbial sledge-hammer to crack a nut. (And not a very tough nut, either :wink:)