Petition for Scrivener on Android.

Please guys, it doesn’t have to be fully featured one with fancy design etc
Even if it’s just a really simple minimal version with just the outline and the writing board that can read our .scrivx files.
We windows users are desperate for an android version. We need it on our tablet and phone.
At least give us something really simple to work with. Please :cry:
Android users join me on this topic, we need it asap

3 Likes

There is no need for a petition, an android version is planned after the Windows 3.0 release. I wouldn’t expect it any time soon though.

This comment is from Keith (the head of Literature and Latte) on the this blog.

This is an excerpt from a more recent blog.

Okay, so it is June 8th, 2022, Scrivener 3 has been out for a while over, a year now, and I have not seen or heard anything about an Android version release date. I hope LL realizes that not everyone can dish out $$$ for an iPad and it’s sad that androids make up approximately 65-70% of the market yet they are being ignored in favor of an elitist brand. Sadly, I am considering abandoning the platform all together. I wish a petition would work but I am not hopeful.

1 Like

Android has a larger share of the hardware market, but iOS accounts for a larger share of app revenue. For productivity apps, as opposed to games, it’s not really close.

2 Likes

(1) You can use JotterPad (free app) with sync.
Not perfect, but beside having no binder features per se, you’ll be able to take your project to your android phone or tablet.

(2) P.S. I bought a 10" Windows tablet on Amazon (250 CA$) and run Scrivener on it no problem.

I’m not saying an android version is a bad idea (I’d certainly somewhat use it myself), but those two are decent alternatives.
(Although the second isn’t really an alternative, as it rather is the full blown portable Scrivener that no android version will likely ever match.)

2 Likes

Just to note, as a long-time forum member, I don’t think it’s merely about choosing the “elitist brand”. Scrivener started out on the Mac because Keith liked the dev environment on Macs better than the various options on Windows. From there, lots of building blocks provided by Apple made at least some of the work easier than anything offered on Windows and iOS, which made porting Scrivener to those very hard and time-consuming. Both of those ports took a very long time, and v1 of both were far behind in feature sets because of the lack of ready-made code provided by the development kits for those platforms.

If it was easy, you’d already have an Android version; they’re not ignoring it out of some foolish platform snobbery. After all, the Windows team have had fewer programs to develop than Keith, the (until recently) sole developer of Scrivener for Mac & iOS + Scapple for Mac, and yet they struggled to get v3 out after years in open Beta.

7 Likes

I’ve been seeing some interesting rumors about a new OS called Fuchsia that may wind up replacing Android and Chrome. I wonder if that’s causing some strife for the team working on Scrivener for Android.

In their defense, Apple makes app development a bit easier by not bothering with playing nice with other OSs, so the L&L team didn’t have to worry about that when building the iOS app. However, Android being a strictly mobile OS means it needs to play nice with multiple PC OSs, like Windows, Linux, Chrome, etc. And that makes developing a user friendly app much more difficult.

Don’t forget the fragmentation of the Android environment that makes it really difficult to develop for.

|https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/android-fragmentation/

Apple OSes also only work on Apple hardware, which limits the number of possible configurations quite a bit.

1 Like

It’s just eternally frustrating as heck for those of us who run Scrivener on Windows and have Android phones to have exactly 0 options.
I know Jotterpad was mentioned, but after Jotterpad LOST my paid upgrade once and then didn’t sync like it was meant to and lost all my files at some point the second time I paid for it, I don’t trust it with my Scrivener files. And I decidedly hate that it has no binder abilities. The project I work most often on is large enough to break scrivener on my laptop if I try to compile a word count, there are enough folders and files in the binder that it would be a massive disaster to navigate in Jotterpad with everything just tossed in no particular direction.
I’ve tried alternatives but I keep going back to scrivener because it’s the only software that doesn’t routinely screw me over outside just plain old Microsoft Word. And it sucks having to do my writing when I’m out and about either in a different program with no connection to scrivener or haul my whole 15.6" laptop in its tactical backpack around all the time to do it.

1 Like