Placeholder $n output wrong numbers when compile partly


I use RC9, write some placeholders “<$n>” in manuscript.
When compiling all manuscript, numbers are good.
But compiling partly, numbers are wrong.
Please look attached pictures. Thanks.

Simple project for test.This is entire manuscript.

Compile “part2” only.

Numbers are wrong.

The placeholder should count upwards in that compile, rather than in the manuscript as a whole. The compile process can’t count something that isn’t included. So in your example 4, 5, and 6 would come out as 1, 2, and 3. It did in my test with RC10. Can you try it again in RC10?

Thank you, ROBG

  • I tried RC10, the results are same.
  • Copied this project to Mac version 3.1.5, the results are what I expected. Please see the belows.



I use this feature often in Mac version, to send my manuscript to publisher partly. I would be very happy to be able to do the same on Windows version. Thanks.

There must be other factors at play here. In RC10 I created a project with two folders, with text files named with the number placeholder. Compiled the full project and got (1, 2, 3) (4, 5, 6). Compiled just the second folder and got (1,2.3). This is what I would expect.

I moved the project over to the Mac and got the exact same result. I was compiling to PDF each time.

So, does changing the compile format and/or file type created influence your results?

Thanks, I’ve recreated this and have filed the report. The problem is specific to “Treat compile group as complete manuscript” not being selected; if it is, the numbering will always start at one and will come out correct for that setting. With it deselected, the numbering seems to be offset in relation to the number of groups preceding the compile group in the binder.

In the meantime, if you need just a portion of the draft, the safest alternative is to compile the full draft and then delete the chunks you don’t want. More work, but it will get you the right numbering for the sections.

Thank you, RobG!

I tried some preinstalled compile formats for txt, rtf, pdf, docx.The results are all the same as the picture “fig3”.

Thank you, MimeticMouton!

I hope my report helped you.

I’ll use the way you’ve shown until the issue will be fixed. Thanks!

Yes, thank you! :slight_smile: