Placeholders, but only if required

I structure my novels where Chapters are folders and underlying Scenes per chapter are files.
I write a synopsis per scene, not per chapter.
When compiling, I use placeholders for Chapter <$n:chapter> (chapter number), and tick Title and Text.
That said, after every few chapters, there’s a change in time, that I’d like to bring into the Compile. In my scenario, the date and/or event does not change every chapter (examples would be: Today - 13 October or Republic Day - Friday, 31 May - 37 years ago).
I store the date change in the synopsis for the specific chapter, when there is a change. (This way of working is allows me to build an Outline document that shows the date changes as well.)
However, if I use the <$Synopsis> placeholder in Compile, it creates a space / extra lines for chapters where there is no chapter synopsis to read in.
A workaround I use is to put a <$Synopsis> placeholder in the Chapter documents in the Binder where the chapters have a date change.
Is there a way to say, “use placeholder only if there is something to read in”?
That would be the ideal solution for everything to work through compile.
I have tried ticking Synopsis, but it draws in the reserved label “Synopsis”, which I then can’t edit or delete.
Basically, I’m looking for Chapter Number, line break, Title, line break, Synopsis if it exists for Chapter (different format to previous two items), line break, Script.
I get it right, but not everything through compile.

There is in fact a setting to remove the subtitles between text elements. You’ll find it in the top-right corner of the Section Layouts compile format option pane, as a cog or ellipses button.

However, while that does fully collapse the spacing if there is no synopsis, putting the title directly adjacent to the text as you want, it has a flaw in that if it inserts a synopsis it also inserts an unnecessary empty line between it and the main text. So I don’t know if that’s going to do exactly what you want, as is.

Otherwise, the only thing I can think of that would handle this problem well is having two different Section Types: “Chapter Heading” and “Chapter Heading with Date”. I would say in most cases that’s probably the best solution anyway, as these two things are clearly different in how they are designed for output.

No doubt defining two different Section Types for the purpose is the best path, but I thought of this alternative, so I will just mention it (for posterity!):

Seems like you ought to be able to get what you want by placing the synopsis placeholder directly after the chapter placeholder without intervening carriage return.

If the synopsis is empty, this produces what you want off the shelf.

What if the synopsis is not empty? Here, I suggest you start your synopsis text with an eliminable tag string, say $$. And target this string for replacement at compile time with a carriage return.

Needless to say, you will need to style your two placeholders so that in the end each gets the format you want for title and synopsis. You may already have custom paragraph styles for these formats, but you would now need the same in character styles (because the two start out on the same line).

Thank you.
In creating two Section Types, the second to pull in the synopsis would still create blank lines where there is no content to be read in. Not so? Or it would require manual intervention in ticking where relevant in compile.
The same line suggestion of chapter followed by synopsis is a workable variation, except in my instance, I prefer the synopsis after (just below) the Section Title.
I’ve played around with Prefix and Suffix in compile and these all render blank space at the start of the chapters where the associated chapter’s synopsis is blank.
Guess I’m after an <$IfNotBlank> placeholder in which to nest the <$Synopsis> placeholder. A nice to have, but probably not a priority for many.

Thanks. Found the toggle for Insert the subtitles between text elements.
I’m also in favour of the optional Section Types you suggested, and misunderstood gr when he suggested it.

Note that if you’re viewing your book in outline mode, you can enable the “Section Type” column, which can be arranged to sit next to the title & synopsis, for easier manual assignment/review.

In creating two Section Types, the second to pull in the synopsis would still create blank lines where there is no content to be read in. Not so? Or it would require manual intervention in ticking where relevant in compile.

So basically you would want two different Layouts in your compile format, one that has the placeholder on a line after the heading, and another that has no suffix at all. That’s your two main layout variations for how chapter headings should be printed.

You do need to tell the compiler which chapters should use this alternate layout—the tip to use the outliner above is a good one.

Guess I’m after an <$IfNotBlank> placeholder in which to nest the <$Synopsis> placeholder. A nice to have, but probably not a priority for many.

That would be a nice thing indeed, I would have use for such a capability, but you are right it’s not something a lot of people would need.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. Resolved without a placeholder.
I created an optional Section Type and included the synopsis that way and toggled off ‘Insert subtitles between text elements’ under Section Layouts.
Then I achieved the same effect I had using the <$Synopsis> placeholder in whatever chapters documents in the Binder before by formatting the text in compile.
Perfect.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve setup an Outline alternative in Layout Manager to do exactly as you have suggested.

So the reality is I overthought this topic.

Yes, having a placeholder in the layout that references to Synopsis will create a blank line in instances where there is no content in the Synopsis.

The simpler answer is to tick the Text AND the Synopsis boxes in compile for the Chapter Heading. Where there’s no Synopsis for any particular chapter to be read in no blank lines are created.

To qualify:
I organise my work in Chapters as folders with a Section Type Chapter Heading.
I don’t write a synopsis at Chapter level, I use this for introductory info, e.g. Republic Day - Friday, 31 May - 37 years ago.
When I compile, I get:
Chapter X
Off to See the World
Republic Day - Friday, 31 May - 37 years ago - read in from the Synopsis and formatted in the Chapter Heading.
Where I have no Chapter Synopsis to read in, I simply get the chapter number with the title and the scene’s text starts afterwards.

My scenes are files with the Section Type Scenes, defined as As Is.
I write a breakdown of each scene in the associated Synopsis, but don’t tick the checkbox for Synopsis because I don’t need it in my script.

1 Like