Please allow for syncing to a secure cloud service

This is a wish, I don’t know if it is doable: I would, by all means, wish to be able to sync my Scrivener projects to a secure cloud service with zero-knowledge policy such as Sync.com that automatically encrypts and decrypts the data locally on my hard drive.
Is that in any way possible?
I am using Notebooks on my mobile devices right now and syncing via Dropbox, but I hate it. Apart from all the past security breaches at Dropbox, the fact that they willingly and gladly (and secretly) allowed access to the NSA’s illegal mass spying programmes for years before Edward Snowden revealed it just disgusts me. And Apple collaborated too. There’s no way to be sure wether they don’t have a back door in their services as well.
So yes, this is a wish: I’d love to be able to go through any service that is secure and locally encrypted, be it for syncing via the Sync feature (to Notebooks on the iOS devices), or eventually via the iOS version of Scrivener once it is rolled out.

Thanks.

You are right, Dropbox is less than ideally secure. If you have concerns there are a couple of encryption services that work with Dropbox. I’m aware of Credeon, however, there are others. While Dropbox may have complied with demands from the NSA, I don’t know as I’d go as far as to say gladly.

On the other hand, there is ZERO evidence that Apple collaborated, and they have stated categorically they did not.

Thank you for your reply.
I’m wondering wether there is an encryption service that works with Dropbox that will not mess up automatic syncing processes between mobile apps and Scrivener. I’m worried that if my Notebooks data is encrypted on the Cloud, it will no longer be readable by the Notebooks app on my mobile device, rendering automatic (or even manual) sync impossible, thus defeating my purpose which is to sync my Scrivener projects with my mobile device. But I haven’t tried my luck with a service yet. Does anyone have experience in that domain?

I do not store any other data on Dropbox, by the way. For straightforward cloud services I use Sync.com which encrypts everything locally and automatically.

As a side note, here’s the evidence that Apple collaborated with the NSA: theintercept.com/2015/03/10/isp … s-secrets/.
As for Dropbox, they appointed Condoleeza Rice to their board, who oversaw Stellar Wind, the predecessor programme to PRISM and defended mass spying during the Bush years: theguardian.com/technology/2 … -spideroak. Furthermore, Dropbox and Microsoft joined forces recently even though, in 2007, Microsoft was the first company to collaborate with the NSA’S PRISM program. In other words, Microsoft didn’t put up much resistance (Apple was the last to join before the Snowden revelations, in contrast). To me, that shows that there is, at Dropbox a general willingness to give away our data…

I use Cubby, which has client-side encryption. It works exactly like Dropbox syncing but with more security. Not sure if that’s something you’ve looked into or not.

I use Cubby too.

In the past I also used SpiderOak, which uses client-side encryption, and I’m pretty sure I had active Scrivener projects on it. I began using it when the Great Firewall of China blocked Dropbox and before I’d heard of Cubby. Apart from the totally un-Mac-like interface, my problem using it was that the back-ups were also going to my SpiderOak account, and they rapidly filled up my available space — but that was my own fault. I still have the account, but it has a fair number of files that I can’t delete as they were put there with a laptop that I stopped using about 6 years ago and have since got rid of.

The sad thing is my collaborator in China tells me she’s now having trouble logging into Cubby; I really hope that hasn’t been put behind the GFWoC as that will make collaboration much more difficult.

Mr X

EDIT: On the matter of encryption, I didn’t choose services on the basis of security. I have nothing to hide in any of my work, and after the carnage in Paris, I’m even less concerned about MI5/6 or the CIA seeing my data. It came too near … a former and much-liked student of mine is studying in Paris, and she tells me she walked past “Le Petit Cambodge” less than 10 minutes before the massacre there began.

I also put my backups in my Cubby cloud, but they’re only like 3MB each, so I’m not real worried about them taking up my space. I have the 100GB account and the only things taking up much space are nandroid backups from my phone. I suppose if my projects had lots of pictures I might have to worry, but it’s all text, all the time.

My feeling also. This may also have something to do with my age, and the fact that long experience has taught me to be suspicious of any promises or guarantees that anything electronic is in reality 100 per cent secure. (Although, for the sake of a degree of security, I too favour Cubby, on the recommendations of xiamenese and - IIRC - nom, of this parish.)

I’ve used SpiderOak, but recently abandoned it. I had a rather alarming thing happen where someone else’s Mac user account ended up being referenced in my backup archive list for one of my devices. Fortunately it was just this random person’s user folder name, and not the contents of their Mac (!), but obviously a mistake like that has implications which should salt anything they say about encryption, privacy and security. Their advice to me was to reinstall the software to try and make it go away, rather than to dig into what might have happened, which put me off of the service even further.

So I’m on the hunt for a long-term off-site storage as well, maybe Cubby, I’ve heard nothing but good things about it. I might even rig my own using an open-source system and my own remote servers. There are a number of good options for that these days, and some not very difficult to set up, and accompanied by useful features beyond file storage and synchronisation.

Thank you AmberV, do you have any thoughts on how to sync between Scrivener on my mac and my mobile devices using encryption? I do this via the iphone app Notebooks and Dropbox, using the Sync feature in Scrivener, which works very well, but that system doesn’t make it possible to encrypt the data on the way out.

I’m not the right person to ask, as I don’t have much first-hand experience with the whole platform you are using, let alone specific tools available to it. I write using an AlphaSmart NEO on the go, and when I get home I load up my project and send the data from the device to the computer over a USB cable. :slight_smile: When I have tried to use iOS in the past, I used a similar approach: plug thing into my computer and put files into my preferred text editor’s little sandboxed area using a file management tool (iTunes basic file area works for that as well), and when I get home I plug it back in and download modified the files off. I have very simple needs though, more often I don’t even use the NEO, and just carry a notebook and pen around and type my thoughts into Scrivener when I get home.

Thank you. Yours might the most reasonable solution, in the end… :wink: