Preferred style names for HTML/eBook output

Hi,

I would like to better understand how to link paragraph and character style names to the particular output file format.

For example, when dealing with traditional printed book I might assign names like Part, Chapter, Section to a heading paragraph style. Lists may be named something like Numbered 1, Numbered, Bulleted.

When going to HTML or ePub, heading names are mandatory in the basic HTML syntax, and are called H1, H2, H3, and OL or UL.

Can style names of the first type be automatically converted to the second type when compiling? I can’t find a way to link them in the Compile format editor.

If not, I guess the best solution is to start all the projects using the standard HTML naming syntax, to be sure it will be the right one in the exported “modern” formats.

Paolo

You can change it at compile for an epub:

For plain HTML, I don’t know.

1 Like

Ah, that’s nice! This should also work for the way I plan to compile for HTML, since I want separate files for each document. To do this, it seems that the only way is to save an ePub together with its source files, from which I will get the HTML files.

Paolo

Not mandatory at all. Not for ePub at least.

2 Likes