Preserving font in compile

I don’t even want to try to explain all the things I’ve tried in order to get this to work, but I’m trying to get Scrivener to preserve a font when compiling.

It’s at the folder level–I have Chapters with scenes. The scenes hold the actual words of the book, the Chapter levels are where the text is that I’m trying to preserve.

I want the words in those chapter folders to retain their “handwriting” font.

It’s all slightly complicated by the fact that these particular chapters can’t be classified as “chapters” because I don’t want Scrivener to give them actual chapter numbers, so I’ve labeled them “Headings” (and tried a million other options and assigned special layouts and set styles et etc, none of which worked) but regardless, this is something I did easily in Scrivener 2, and I cannot figure out how to do it in 3.

It always changes to TNR on compile. I’m clearly missing something, and any help would be much appreciated!

In Scrivener 2 you had one choice: will the Formatting pane override formatting for all of the text in the document, or not. Whether you were formatting a level 2 folder or a level 4 text document, they were both governed by the same checkbox at the top.

In version 3 the question is the same, however it is now applied to each row in its equivalent of the Formatting pane: the Section Layouts pane. Instead of “Folder 2” you have “Heading” or whatever you wish to call it, and in the formatting tab at the very bottom is where you can select whether this layout should override formatting for the assigned binder items, or if it should act more like “As-Is” did in v2.

So that’s one approach—one that is a bit procedural. Another approach is fairly basic and not driven by the compiler: use Styles in the editor to mark this special text. Styles in Scrivener are by default preserved from most modification in the compile phase. The only exception is if the compile format itself specifically declares that it wants to print that style (of the same name) a different way. That way you can override styles if you want (and that is how something like the Manuscript format works to convert whatever Palatino heading you have in the editor to 12pt Courier).

I suppose another approach would be drive the handwritten font choice from the Section Layouts pane itself. Create a layout that is called “Handwritten Heading” and set up the look and feel right there. Then it doesn’t really matter what’s in the editor, and if you need something else at a later date you can assign those “chapter” items to a different layout.

Also do make sure you don’t have that font override option set at the top of the middle preview column in the main compile overview screen. That acts just like “Quick Font Override” did in version 2. It is an easy way to override a format’s look—maybe you like “Modern” for example, but not the font. With this tool you can change all of the fonts in the output without having to go through dozens of settings making your own “Modern” variant.

Thank you!!!

It was the TNR Font Override that was causing all the issues! I absolutely did not see the “Determined By Section Layout” option. So I’d already tried all your other suggestions and about a million more, and none of it mattered because of that!

I figured it was something simple I was missing–turns out I was right!

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction!