Primary folders in the binder

My primary folders - Manuscript, Characters, etc. have quit opening showing the view compatible subdocuments when I click on them. I have to right click and specifically tell it to open with that view every time.

[u]Plus[/u], when I click the primary folders, only Manuscript and Research are even showing up as folders. Characters and Places don’t have the message/icon that says Characters Folder, etc. When I click on them the page is blank and when I right click, go to Open, then choose “With compatible subdocuments” the subdocuments do not get shown.

How can I turn Characters and Places back into folders so I can get the view with the subdocuments? [u]And[/u] is there a way to make that view the default?

If you post a screenshot of what your binder looks like, it would help to understand how you have got things organised at the moment. Shift-Ctrl-4 then drag with the crosshairs to highlight the area, then when you release the button the snapshot will be taken.

HTH

Mr X

Hi Mr. X,

Here’s a screenshot with Manuscript chosen: file:///Users/Sandy/Dropbox/Screenshots/Screenshot%202016-03-06%2004.24.24.png

Here’s one with Characters chosen: ----------

Never mind, the program won’t let me take a snap shot like that again. The option isn’t even available if I click on Documents and then Snapshots in the menu bar. It will only work if a text page is open - not by opening a folder or main heading (which as you can see in the one screenshot the program is calling a “folder”. :frowning:

I’m not even sure I should mess with it. I used to have a lot of confidence in Scrivener, but a month ago it quit saving properly and I had to spend a week fixing that mess. :open_mouth: Now it’s doing this. But this isn’t that big a deal - just a feature that I know it used to have that I only used occasionally. Except - now I’m not trusting the whole program again.

Thanks anyway. :frowning:

Hi PearlRM. I’m afraid no one is going to be able to view that screenshot, as the URL you have given is to the file in your Dropbox folder on your computer, and none of us, quite rightly, have access to either that or your Dropbox itself. The best thing is, when you reply, below the window in which you’re going to type your reply you’ll see a tab “Upload attachment”; click on that, and follow the instructions to choose a file—navigate to the screenshot currently in your Dropbox and choose that—click on the “Add” button, and then the “Place Inline” button—adding a comment is optional.

It is not Scrivener that takes the screenshot—snapshots in Scrivener are totally different—so, don’t give up; Scrivener is a complex program, though it can be used simply, but you do need to understand the way it works, which is rather different from word processors like Word. I’ve been using it since some time in 2006, and apart from a short period of being unable to share files with Chinese text with users of the first Windows version because of text encoding issues, I could count on the fingers of one hand any issues I’ve encountered, and they have been down to my getting it wrong. Scrivener has always been extremely stable for me.

So, post that screenshot inline, and people will be able to help.

:slight_smile:

Mr X

The resulting snapshot will automatically be saved as a file on your desktop. This can then be uploaded in your reply post on this thread.

BTW, there is a Convert to Folder menu item. You can access it by Control-clicking (right-clicking) the name of an item in the Binder and picking it off the resulting contextual pop-up menu.

What you see in the Editor pane when you click on a folder or ducument or document group depends in part on your View Mode setting – which is persistent, so if you changed it at some point, it will persist that way until you change it back. The tripartite button on the toolbar controls the view mode. Click on a folder and then choose on the toolbar button the view you wish to see when you click on folders (the text content of the folder iteself, the combined text of all the documents underneath it, a corkbord of the things underneath it, an outline of the things underneath it).

Best,
GR

P.S. I can also echo xiamenese’s words about the stability and reliability of Scrivener.